I do not know if it is the weather but... General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Malka, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

I do not know if it is the weather but...

...Tikva is not herself. She eeped very early to go out for a pee - half flooded the concrete patio which was already half flooded from last night's rain. Came in, changed her mind and went out to check if she had any pee mail, then spent what seemed like hours squatting here, squatting there - and so on and so forth until she was satisfied that it was the perfect to deposit her normal morning little poo.

She did not want to go back in her crate, just curl up in her nest on the couch - not really a problem but I could have done with another hour or three in bed, although as I can no longer doze on my recliner I can always check emails and read newspapers online. And tbh my back appreciated it more on my chair than my bed.

Eep. Eeep. Eeeep. Wanna chewchew. Yeah sure - in the middle of the night? No no, morning now, I wanna chewchew.

Which of course meant that her 10am breakfast was eeped for two hours early.

And the little booger is now zonked out again on the couch after I ended up having to give her a calming tablet because she seemed almost disorientated and I am wondering if it was the sudden change in the weather. It gets dark so early now and does not get light until later than stupid o'clock - and overnight winter arrived. So maybe she is just confused?

Incidentally I think this was only the first time I had given her a little calming pill - not the ones I always had "in case" for Pereg when she was manically post-ictal - these are little soft chew pills which I got to put in my dog first-aid kit.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not know what it is but Tikki is still not right. I do not think she is sick and definitely not vet time, but I cannot put my finger on just what is not right. She is eating - at least after her much too early breakfast she eeped for seconds, and she is drinking, peeing [no doubt pooing as well but I cannot always get out to watch her and her tiny poos are usually identical to the pebbles in the yard] - just something is not right as she is not her normal loonie self.

And yes, I am a bit worried.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    It is hard to comment when there are no distinct symptoms. I hope Tikki is back to normal tomorrow. Do you think she might be more hungry because the weather has gone colder?
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not know Carole but the weather has gone from summer to winter almost overnight, plus The Rains [deliberately capitalised] have started with a vengeance. Tikki is definitely not ill and she is not cold - although she has been shivering a lot which is not like her. But even though the door is open as usual [except when the rain comes in!] I have had to go to the doorway and tell her to go out and pee while I stand propping up on the doorway.

She scoffed her evening meal at the normal time - then back on the couch apart from racing out to bark at something. And I have just told her to go out and pee, which she did, then rushed in and played with my hands while I unclipped her tether - zoomed into the bedroom and did twirlies for her bikki - crate open, Tikki in, bikki handed over, crate closed...

...and no doubt she is now curled up on her sleeping mat.

But she just was not right. It is no problem to give her another chicken wing or chunk of turkey neck - it is not as if she needs to lose weight as she is still nice and slim - some people still say she is too thin - but I have been rather worried all day as my Tikki was just not herself.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Just like us, they have their off days. Keep an eye on her, but try not to over fuss as that may make her anxious if she's feeling a bit under the weather. Hopefully, she be back to her normal, bubbly self by tomorrow
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tikki is still not 100% although I do not think she is ill as she is scoffing her food - which she eeps for [in case I have forgotten] - drinking, peeing, pooing - and doing her usual rolling on the couch to stop me either clipping on or unclipping her tether. And her usual leaping on the bed when I open her crate and then again when it is bed crate time.

She eeped to get up again at stupid o'clock as she needed a pee, but by the time I had gotten to her crate she had given up and pee'd in it. No problem as it is lined with a pee pad and I wash her sleeping mat every two days, but she wanted out for a poo. Came in while I changed her bedding and was then happy to go back in her crate [with another bikki] and went back to sleep so I was able to go back to bed myself.

But she still eeped again earlier than usual - wanted up, went out for another p&p then her morning chew - and demanded her breakfast again two hours earlier than normal. So she has just chombled her way through a frozen chunk of turkey neck, had a fight with the throw on the couch to make a suitable nest, and is currently giving me the stinkeye if I turn to look at her.

I am beginning to think that it must be the sudden change in the weather that has thrown her system out of kilter - and to be honest it is not to my liking either!
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The little booga tried to con me into giving her a second breakfast by first sitting beside my chair eeping quietly and then standing up on her hind legs eeping louder. I did not give in and eventually she stopped asking.

I have checked her all over, as much as she will let me before she thinks it is roly-poly fun time and stop mommy by hanging onto my hands again, and she does not appear to have a swollen tummy or any pain when gently palpated it. She is peeing as normal and the poos I have seen are small and not too firm, just as normal.

Oh, and when Rafi came over with Shula's Friday offering she not only tried to climb up his trousers but literally leaped into his arms [little hussy].

But there is just something not quite right and I have no idea what it is. :102:
  9. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Could she have a UTI? You mentioned some urinary symptoms. Just a wild guess...

How is she doing now that it is later in the day? Still not quite right? I hope she gets back to herself soon.
  10. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Not an UTI as she is peeing normally with no problems. Peeing in her crate is not very often and is usually because I have not got out of bed to let her out quick enough wheb she wakes and eeps. It is not as if she does it every night, just once in a while and it does not bother either of us.

She is not peeing often, no straining, no squatting and just producing a few drops - believe me when Tikva pees she really pees! In fact she has been snuggled in her "nest" for the last couple of hours so I woke her and told her to go out for a pee - which she did - after she had checked if there was any pee mail in the yard for her to sniff and "read" first! And now she is nagging for her dinner which is not due for another couple of hours yet! :rolleyes:
  11. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Good. I am glad its not that.
  12. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I wonder, I wonder. I have just realised that Tikva had a bit of a shock on Tuesday when the leash at the end of her tether gave way - is it possible that she could have had a bit of doggy PTSD which, together with the sudden weather change, could have caused her to be a bit off-colour? Or am I just clutching at straws. :confused:
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Not so bad today. Tikva slept until around 6am before she eeped to go out. And because I wanted, well needed more sleep, went back into her crate [with a little bikki of course] and let me have another hour before eeping again.

Nagged for breakfast once she was up - two hours hourly but when Tikki nags...

...and then started nagging for her 8pm evening meal THREE hours early I said no way so I took her to bed so I could have a nanny nap. After trying to eat my hair and then doing jumpy jumpies all over me [gerrof you little booga that hurts] guess when she is now? I am here and she is still curled up on my bed!

And her dinner is due in about 20 minutes!

Do you think I should go in and wake her ? :043: