I had a rough day General Chat

Discussion in 'Papillon' started by IceCody, Apr 29, 2014.

1. IceCody

IceCody Member

Name:
    Dagbjört
    6JRT's likes this.

I had a rough day

I don´t know if some of you remember but I had orignally picked a different female to mate with Leo but after two tries that seemed to fail, we changed our minds since the female was very scared of him.
    Well she ended up pregnant and had the pups today.

At first I got a phone call from my sons school, saying he was acting up so I had to go pick him up. An hour later I got a phone call from my brother, my dad is back in the hospital.

Right when I was heading out the door to go see my dad, the female´s owner called me frantic, saying something was wrong with her and the puppies so I called my brother and got to know that my dad was stable, than I rushed to the female´s house and we took her to the vet.

The vet gave her hormones and she got the first puppy out but it was dead beyond saving and than we took her home.
    After about an hour another puppy was stuck in the birth canal so we took her back to the vet and she got prepped for surgery. Right before the vet gave her the shot, she got the second puppy out, a female. She was not breathing so we took turns rubbing her, breathing into her and sucking out of her untill we got her going. The vet told me is was useless but I am a very stubborn person and thankfully she is going strong now.
    Meanwhile the mom went into surgery and two more pups, a female and a male, were born, also lifeless. I refused to give up so again we started rubbing, and sucking and breathing into them. The female starting breathing on her own and screaming her little head of but the male was harder to get going. I kept going though, his heart was beating but he had trouble breathing so I kept breathing into him, and an hour and a half later he finally made sounds and let me know he was really not happy.

The two female´s are doing good but we don´t know about the male. All we can do is take turns watching over him and trying to get him to nurse.

The first time I am a part of breeding and this happens. I don´t think I can ever do this again and I am very happy that Bailie didn´t get pregnant.

These are Hope and Hetja (Hero)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    IceCody likes this.
    I'm so sorry you've had such a rough day and lost puppies :( But I'm really happy that you have managed to revive three puppies and they are doing well right now. Am hoping they continue to thrive.

Like I said in your breeding thread, a similar thing happened to my breeders with their bitch. All her pups were dead and she had to still give birth to them as she was so advanced. Very distressing for both dog and owner. But a hard reality that breeding isn't all it's cracked up to be.
  4. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    IceCody likes this.
    It's definitely not all plain sailing being a breeder, I know I couldn't do it.
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    IceCody likes this.
    What a terrible time you've had. So sad about the lost puppies.

I hope the surviving pups - and the mum - do well. They look beautiful. Look forward to getting updates that they're thriving.

Hope that your dad is better too - and that your son is behaving himself!
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    IceCody likes this.
    That really was a rough day Dagbjört and I feel for you. First of all I do hope that your father is better today and your son does not play up again.

Well done on saving the pups - having had two stillborn pups [different litters, different bitches, different times] it was so distressing not being able to breath life into them although I tried my hardest. Fingers crossed that the little male makes it OK.
  7. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    IceCody likes this.
    Sorry to hear about the puppies - hope the mum and the surviving pups are ok. It's not easy being a breeder that's for sure..
  8. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    IceCody likes this.
    wow what a day for you. Hope everything turns out ok for you
  9. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    IceCody likes this.
    Sorry about your rough day .................................. your puppies are so cute I hope they get stronger
  10. IceCody

IceCody Member

Name:
    Dagbjört
    We lost the male last night. No matter how hard we tried, there was to much water in his lungs that we couldn´t get out.
    The two females are doing good and the mom is doing really good too. She is guarding her puppies really well though.

I got bad news with my dad though. It seems that the cancer is still growing despite the chemo therapy and he has a very bad infection in his blood. The doctors are going to stop treatment and as of right now there is nothing anyone can do.

I am so numb and out of it somehow.
  11. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Sending Lots of positive thoughts xx
  12. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    What a desperately sad time for you, I am so sorry.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am so very sorry for you and your family Dagbjört (((hugs)))
  14. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    I'm so sorry to hear the news about your dad and the little lost puppy too. You need lots of hugs right now! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  15. ester purk

ester purk New Member

Name:
    Ester
    Poor things....:( Don't be too hard on yourself. You did what most people wouldn't even imagine doing;).