I just went into the kitchen... General Chat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Malka, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

I just went into the kitchen...

...to get prepare Tikva's evening meal...

...and the fluorescent tube blew!

Not to worry, I thought it was going a couple of weeks ago and Nir managed to find a new tube and starter motor thingy - the new tube he put on top of one of the cupboards in my balagan room and I know exactly where the starter thingy is - and he said to wait until the tube blew and he would come and put the new one in. Well it has blown now so I will have to call him in the morning. In the meantime I am using one of my emergency lights so I will be able to fix Tikki's supper. :)

It was lucky that he found a replacement tube as the new ones are the energy saving ones which do not fit into or work in the old fitting, so it would have needed a complete new unit, just as the outside lights had to be replaced a couple or so weeks ago.

What with lights and a/c units I am certainly keeping Nir busy - and my wallet empty! :D
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    When you say ' blow ' the glass didn't explode did it?
    Either way I hope you are ok, early night I think
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    No - I meant it blew, just as a light bulb or fuse blows - it just flickered and died when I switched the light on. It did not explode! I really should not complain though when there are so many people without any power due to the hurricanes, and at least I have plenty of rechargeable emergency lights, plus torches everywhere, both rechargeable and battery ones. And I do not like bright lights in any case and mainly use small side lights but I do need to see to prepare Tikva's evening meal as some of her vitamins and supplements are in powder form so have to be measured out.

I do have little nightlights plugged in everywhere so my home is never in total darkness, as I need to see where I am going or else I will bash into walls and door frames! Been there, done that, and worn out countless teeshirts!
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Malka likes this.
    We don't realise how lucky we are, with all ' mod cons ' when we have a power cut or the Internet goes off the whole household is miserable!
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    If the power goes off I tend to panic, as I do not know if it is just mine or the whole of the Moshav. And my main fuse box [and meter] is next door in what used to my my neighbour and landlord's bungalow, both detached but the electricity cable is connected from here to there.

It never used to be a problem as I have a key but my neighbour moved to go and live with one of her brothers and the big bungalow has been rented out. And there is No Way I would even go knock at their door now, let alone let myself in. No way of knowing if they are in or not either.

Panic? Well, if the power goes off and my telephone landlines are affected - which can and has happened when the overhead cables are compromised, it means that my emergency button, which is connected to my second telephone landline, I just panic. I do not think I have ever fallen over Tikva but I did some serious damage to my face falling over Pereg.
  7. BronsonTheBulldog

BronsonTheBulldog Member

Name:
    Gareth
    When the sky+ stops working everyone has a nervous breakdown!
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have just spoken with Nir and he will pop in around midday to fit the new tube and starter thingy. I do know how to replace the dead one but am unable to reach the light unit.

So frustrating when you know how to do things but can no longer do them. But thank crunchie for Nir, who would have dropped whatever he was doing to come here if it was a real emergency.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    [Not sure why the last sentence in above post was in italics, but never mind.] Nir turned up about half an hour ago, to fit the new tube and he had bought two new cordless telephones for me [a "mother" and "daughter" set] as my last ones had packed up. Well they do not last forever but then nothing does, does it. Built in obsolescence in a throwaway society. :102:

This set is for the "mother" one which sits on top of my washing machine in the little hallway between my salon and kitchen, and the "daughter" one sits in the kitchen next to the sink unit. I have others just about everywhere so wherever I am there is a phone within reach.