Info needed on English Bull terriers ... Questions

Discussion in 'Bull Terrier' started by Fudgeley, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel

Info needed on English Bull terriers ...

Hi

I have a friend whose brother's English bull terrier is having pups.

She is considering having one of the pups...

Should there be any particular health tests she should be checking for?

What is a fair price for one of these pups?

I am asking on her behalf so she has some background knowledge before she goes ahead.....
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    When I was looking at miniature bull terriers the things i were told to look out for were deafness in white pups a B.A.E.R test can check if they are.
    Patella luxation(sp) which is knee joint probs if memory serves Cant remember the other things ...
  4. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
  5. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Thanks Murf.....so essentially there are no health tests for the parents to have had but the pup needs to be checked and certified for no deafness.....Going rate about £850
  6. BullseyesTail

BullseyesTail New Member

Name:
    Charm's mum
    Did your friend have a pup? Just curious as I'm a bull terrier owner! (Only just joined the site).:grin:

PLL (Primary lens Luxation) has been rife amongst mini bulls to the point someone told me 25% of pups were going on to develop it (my own dog did although she and her parents were both eye tested when I got her). It's worth being aware those tests tell you the dog was OK on the day tested. Nothing more.

There is now DNA testing hopefully to eradicate the problem.

If you're talking a standard bullie, there's less risk.

But these are not easy pups to raise - they are very intelligent and also VERY stubborn, so need an experienced person to train them. (Experienced with training and/or bullies:grin: )
  7. Kazz

Kazz New Member

Name:
    Karen
    Hiya Bullseyestail.
    I adore English Bull Terriers, but they I do not believe are the dog for me and my situation. My Uncle had one when I was a child and boy was he a "one an dog" he was called Billy and a full size Bullie. They are I believe a brilliant dog in the right hands.
    I have a stafford, same inteeligence I think but far less stubborn than the Bullie.

Have you always had Bullies?
  8. BullseyesTail

BullseyesTail New Member

Name:
    Charm's mum
    Hi Kazz

Yes. Third generation too as my grandad and dad had them before me. I have had 2 staffies, too - eminently more trainable and arguably more intelligent! (Although some argue the Bull Terrier's intelligence is what makes them harder to train!):002:

Loved my staffies - they're very similar in some ways and not others. Bullies are not usually 'one man dogs' at all - quite the opposite. My uncle was a poacher so always had retrievers and my dad - used to bullies - thought they were 'one man dogs'!:grin:

I grew up dressing up my burly 70lb bull terrier in a dress and pushing her around in a wheelbarrow. I thought all dogs were that daft! Loved my staffs too. Real characters.
  9. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I used wonder how princess Anne ended up with ebt's ..lol
  10. lianne1983

lianne1983 New Member

Name:
    lianne
    I had never liked bull terriers, as a child and when I got older I thought they were ugly :blush: Me and OH decided to get a rescue dog a couple of years ago and the dog who chose us LOL, was an EBT x lab!

How things change when you meet 'the one'! :grin:

Although Joe is a cross, he has alot of bully traits and characteristics i.e the stubborness, the build, the strength, the spinning, the wonky sit, the 'scooby-doo', LOL, and many more. He seems to have very little lab in him.

Unfortunatly although because he was never socialized, he has issues with dogs, which I know isn't just a bully thing, but it is a common thing with under-socialized bullies and make them difficult to train.

NOW, since having Joe, dispite his issues, I would love another EBT, obviously not with Joe as he couldn't cope but if a miracle was to happen and he suddenly liked dogs, we'd have one!!
  11. Dobermonkey

Dobermonkey New Member

Name:
    Claire
    My friend is on her second now. My Dobe lurves his Layla cause she is tough as boots and is more than fit for his Doberwrestling! Shes a really nice person (unless you ask Pickle the duck, oops - hes recovered now after she took a notion to put him to bed by his neck!) and her 'bullie runs' are the funniest things to watch!
  12. sargaz

sargaz New Member

Name:
    Sara
    Pups should be BEAR hearing tested and should also be vet checked by the breeder just to ensure no heart murmurs are present. Mini Bulls should be PLL tested clear also.
    Any good breeders will breed from Parents that have been health tested for Kidneys, heart etc.
    They do tend to cost between £600 - £900 for a standard Bully and anything up to and sometimes over £1100 for a Mini.
  13. paddyjulie

paddyjulie New Member

Name:
    jue