Irish and Airedale Terriers....Questions for experienced terrier people Questions

Discussion in 'Airedale Terrier' started by Insomnia, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie

Irish and Airedale Terriers....Questions for experienced terrier people

Hi!
    Just thought I'd run through a few questions for any experienced terrier people...

Firstly, I have a little experience with Airedales as I regularily dog sit for a pack of 6 of them, but as I haven't lived with them long term, it'd be great to hear more!

I am currently dog sitting for a GSD and lab and when my brother in law came round, his allergies kicked in and he was still coughing the next day...this has meant he won't be able to come round new years and this made me realise I can't be wholly selfish in my type of dog I choose, I need breeds that I can have him round and I can take them round to his for the day. I'm aware that no dogs are 100% allergen free, but I've been doing my research and these seem to be on the list of dogs that produce less dander. I have always liked the smart look of these dogs, but not had the opportunity to meet many, so I'd like the further my research on here if you'll oblidge me :)

What are Irish Terriers like to live with? Do you think an Airedale and Irish (one of each sex) would be a good pairing?

I'm planning to have children in the future, would these dogs be good choices? Do yours mix well with other dogs?
    Do yours recall well? Do they moult at all? Do you find them to be good watchdogs?

Onto the grooming, I have minimal experience with hand stripping from the Airedales, but would like to know what the reality of this is, how long does it take and is it hard to get them looking smart as an amateur? I wouldn't want to clip them as I heard this means more dander will be produced and they lose the rich colour. I've seen a clipped Airedale and she looks older than she is!

I'll leave the questions there for now, just to let you know, this isn't a whim, although I'm not allergic, I don't want to be cut off from my family when I finally have dogs, and its not fair to ask others to suffer. I've always loved the terrier spirit and walked a staffie for 4 years.

Yours hopefully
    Melanie
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    p.s. pictures and personal stories/experiences more than welcome!!
  4. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I know someone who keeps an IT with a Hungarian Vizsla..and they live happily together.

I the only info I know about the bred is that they are a true terrier..so will have all terrier instincts..

They are also not know to be strange dog tolerant... or so I am told...

Cant help with anything else , other than to say the one by me, is adorable, loves his live in friend..but is intolerant of other dog.
  5. Muddiwarx

Muddiwarx Member

Name:
    Julie
    I am planning to add an Irish Terrier next year :) My friends have a couple and they are a delight - playful and cuddly but not clingy or over demanding. Theirs are very social too although I know some Irish Terriers can be not so keen on other dogs.

She has grandchildren and had Irish when her kids were kids too so hers at least must have been good ;)