Irish setters? Info please!! General Chat

Discussion in 'Irish Setter' started by Petticoat, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat

Irish setters? Info please!!

I have already put up about the Gordy's and Pointers, but I would also like to know about the Irish setter too. I have seen a few about so I know they are beautiful and have good temprements... but I would still like to know more about them. Are they good on recall (every one I have seen has been off lead!!) are they really more scatty than their English cousins? I know there are a few health concerns but are they an otherwise healthy dog? Also any pics would be great, would like to hear good and bad...;-)
    Ta!!:mrgreen:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Hi :)

As you know I have owned three out of four of the lovely Setters.

In my experience I certainly wouldn't put the Irish at the top of the scattiest :)

You have the English which I would put as the most difficult in recall and general training out of all of the ones I have owned - Charlie still is the one I am waiting for to come back on a walk!

Like with the English if they get enough exercise and stimulation they are happy dogs and will be happy in the home.

The Gordons I have found to be the best at recall and check back on me all the time - like to know where I am. Charlie is much more independant on a walk.

Initially as a puppy we had a hard time with Sacha's recall but after some training and bribery she got the hang of things very quickly - she toilet trained really fast too - soon learnt peeing on the grass = treat.

Sacha also was my first to dog that got me into obedience training and agility.

At agility you see many more Irish competing and the odd Gordon but do you know I don't think I have seen an English - kind of speaks for itself LOL - so as you have three of the English an Irish would be an easy challenge for you :) :)

Health concerns like any breed go to the right breeder - make sure parents have been tested - hips and CLAD clear.

I still love the Irish and one day would love another x
  4. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Thanks Rachel, that is a great help, I really love the look of the Irish, as I do the Gordons and of course my beloved English....;-)
    Do you know if boys or girls are best within a group or is it like the English and not really matter? Just my boys don't really do dominance, just a bit of manly gymnastics every now and then!!:lol:
  5. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Hi :)

I have only ever had female Irish and they lived in harmony with female and male - all were spayed though.

I do know many people who have multiple males though - but think as with any breed its down to the individual personalities - as you would have a reasonable age gap a male should fit in well though :) But having said that if it were me would prob. go for a female as you know the boys don't 'fight' over Remy - remind are your boys neutered?
  6. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    No Jamie and Deacon are entire, I would prefer a girl, but worried about the coat going wiry. Remy is neutered though and the boys adore her, licking her chops :roll: until she sees them off with a grumble and then waggy tail!!:lol:
  7. Irish Setter Mu

Irish Setter Mu New Member

Name:
    Karen
    As you have said they are beautiful and have good temprements - our 3 boys are very good off lead and have good recall (generally :lol: ). Duke is probably the worst but he is also the oldest & most cantankerous (our first and probably a bit spoiled). Rusty & Jenson are very good on recall. I don't think they are any more scatty than their English cousins - I think it's the same as with most things - it's how they are brought up.

Healthwise we've been quite lucky apart from having the odd skin tag removed and some joint problems.

Picwise - here are some recent snaps - enjoy:

Duke (now almost 11 years old)
    [​IMG]

Rusty (10 next April)
    [​IMG]

Jenson (Duke's Son & 6 in January) with his "Dad" getting ready for a camping trip (which they haven't been on yet!)
    [​IMG]
  8. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    You have some truly beautiful dogs:grin: Lovely pics!!
    Would they be okay living with their daft English cousins?
    I have two boys aged nearly 3 and 2 and an old lass of nearly 11.. The boys are nuts and love to play... all the time!!!
  9. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    Sacha was spayed and her coat did go very dry but if the boys aren't neutered an entire bitch would have a few problems - one boys squabbling for her attention and then dealing with seasons - so I would probably suggest a male - there is enough of a gap between the boys for their not to be any top dog issues.

No reason why an Irish won't fit in with your boys at all :) :) The English are so laid back they won't care too hoots about new additions at all will they! Charlie has always welcomed the youngsters and always their 'playmate' from day 1 :)

Good luck

Rachel

p.s. am very jealous - I miss having an Irish Setter in my bunch totally!
  10. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Thanks Rachel, my main concern is a dominance issue, my boys are so daft they would let any dog in here as long as it wants to play chase:roll: :lol: I know another male English wouldn't be a worry, be a bit hyper for awhile, but they would all get on.... but are the Irish as biddable, if I did get a male Irish would he assume authority over my boys, he couldn't get one over Rem, she rules this roost!! Another reason why I am so reluctant to get a girlie setter!! Though would love a female Irish and Gordon!! Maybe in a few years!!
  11. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    It very much depends on the individual dog to be honest.

I wouldn't say the Irish were a dominant breed at all though - but not as laid back as the English - and having said that I would say the Irish would be more people orientated (if that makes sense!) - don't know about your boys but Charlie is very independant but does like a cuddle when he wants one ! But ask him for one and he might he might not LOL!

With the age difference (alhtough I have assumed you are looking at a puppy) I don't think a male would come in and dominate at all but again it really does depend on the individual personality - but with your guidance see no reason why they would!

As you said the English welcome and cherish new dogs and you never get a cross word - Connor being the youngest will try his luck but Charlie will let him know when he pushes to far - this is done in a fair way too - not nasty at all - so if you did have a dog that tried his luck - which all youngsters can I would expect a similar scenario from Jamie or Deacon.

I would expect that the pecking order already wll be pretty much established though :)

Lucky thing you!!!