Irish Setters - Information wanted on the breed Questions

Discussion in 'Irish Setter' started by greyhoundk, Nov 22, 2011.

1. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor

Irish Setters - Information wanted on the breed

I love Irish Setters and one day i would like to own one so can anyone tell what they are like to own please, their little foibles, exercise needs etc, thank you :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. kcjack

kcjack New Member

Name:
    Julia
    I have just had an 8 month old beautiful Irish Setter girl in and she is lovely really calm which isnt the norm lol xx
  4. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab
    Beautiful, aren't they?

I've never owned one but another dog owner at the park used to own several. He was telling me about them last week and he said that they are gorgeous, but he found them quite 'highly strung'....

He also said it was hard to find a food they would stick with as they 'got bored' of most foods after a month!

Don't know if that's helpful, but those were his comments.

They are lovely dogs :)
  5. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    Thanks guys, i have only met one before and she was lovely but her owner said she was a bit dim lol !! i have heard they are highly strung
  6. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    Paddy has put me right of ever getting an Irish Setter :lol:

With him though, it is difficult to know what is him, and what was because of his upbringing.

He is very highly strung, his recall is shocking :lol:, his responsiveness in general is very low, he is a nutball, his is extremely fussy with treats and food, he barks A LOT, he is very demanding and toddlerlike, he is good with kids but is extremely boisterous and unaware of them so that would always worry me around small children, he is destructive in the house when bored, he needs almost constant attention, he slobbers, he is very clumsy and is completely unaware of his size... In some ways, he can be quite dangerous.

I love him pieces though :lol: He is a great dog and totally gorgeous, and had I been able to keep him, I would have dealt with how he is... but, whether he is typical of the breed or not, he has put me off getting a Setter. He is, in many respects, the total opposite of Jake... and, for me, Jake is perfect and exactly what I look for in a dog :lol: I am too used to Jake now :mrgreen:

He is a beautiful boy though...
    [​IMG]