Is my boy a Springer or a Field Spaniel?

Discussion in 'Field Spaniel' started by firefox, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em
    Yep, I do agree with you on that one. Almost on the Sprollie one too, but trying to resist ;o)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    i dont see any difference in a "mix" of names eg Sprocker to shorten names eg Springer or Staffie.

What it says on the tin! :)
  4. wallaroo

wallaroo New Member

Name:
    Gill
    I try my hardest not to call toby a sprocker - usually just say he's a spaniel and if they ask more i say hes half springer / half cocker - but the usual reply to that is "oh, so hes a sprocker then"
  5. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    i just dont like it because, some of them sound so silly (such as cockapoo, goldendoodle, bordoodle, cavapoo... i could go on ;-):lol:) and when they are given a name, people begin to believe they are an actual breed.
  6. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish

I dont think it sounds silly if its a Sprocker or a sprollie,its not a "selling" point or a gimick, its just a easy way to say the Cross

i only think it sounds gimiky if the name has Doodle-poo in it.:lol:

A sprocker has been bred ,in general ,for a purpose

A lurcher is a made up type, although not from two different names probaley because it dosent come from the same breeds each time.

Ive a friend who goes nuts when her Stafs are referred to as Staffies, shes thinks THATS gimmicky, they should be referred to as "STAFFORDS"

:mrgreen: Jake Could be a Bulder tellieherder:mrgreen: agreed very silly sounding!!!!!
    or he could be a Heinz57 (i LOVE that term)
    or a Mongrel (i dont like that term) .

I much prefer The term Heinz57 to mongrel

Language is always Fluid ,& Custom & practise often will reign.

So yes, personally i like to use terms that some will see as Gimmicky. Sprocker/Sprollie/Lurcher/Heinz57 :mrgreen: Quick call the dog Police!!!!!!! Lock me up!
  7. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    lol, i just think if people always refer to crosses (thats what they are after all) with a 'name', then other people begin to think it is an actual breed, which it isnt. ive heard of some people who actually seem to think their cross is a real breed!

i like the term heinz 57 too :mrgreen: but absolutely hate mongrel!
  8. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish

Some people might think that, Numpties:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  9. Pidge

Pidge New Member

Name:
    Em
    I love mongrel. It's not derogatory at all to me and just conjures up images of a loveable, scrappy little chap who is completely unique.

Like I said, I can just about cope with Sprocker and Sprollie but I do not endorse ''breeders'' selling them at a premium.
  10. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    "Mongrel" is not derogatory but it's not very descriptive either. Sprocker, Sprollie etc at least helps me to produce a reasonably accurate picture of the dog. "Mongrel" tends to produce (in my head) a small brown dog with slightly wavy hair and a curly tail.
  11. Sprocker

Sprocker New Member

Name:
    Rhyannon
    Just looking at the pics I would say a very lovely Springer/Cocker cross or Sprocker as it is often known.

I do have to agree I hate these "designer" names for what is essentially a non-pedigree "mongrel" .... especially when people try to sell them at a premium price ... had one person telling me that "oh but both my sprockers parents come from field trial champions" makes not a dolt of difference if the dogs were that good when not breed a fine pedigree cocker or springer!

In rescue I have seen alot of Spaniel crosses being passed off as either cockers or springers .... had one that almost definately had beagle in her .... i think if they come from a puppy farm or a BYB then you have to take their breeding with a pinch of salt.
  12. firefox

firefox New Member

Name:
    Suzy
    :grin: Though I notice you use the term Sprocker in your signature!
    I don't see the harm myself - if people want to pay more for a cross breed then that's up to them, I guess. You wouldn't tell people they shouldn't expect to pay more for a pure breed. It's when people are being misled when the problem comes.
    I got mine from a family who couldn't look after him anymore (they seemed to want a slow paced dog!!) and she assured me she had seen both parents and they were both Springers but both heavily brown. I had a feeling when I picked him up that he wasn't a 'proper' springer but didn't care cos he was adorable.
    Somewhere along the line someone either lied or were very confused about the parent dogs!

Either way, whenever I describe him as Sprocker the person looks confused, and if I describe him as Springer/Wocker cross they say 'Oh a Sprocker!' - can't win!!
  13. Sprocker

Sprocker New Member

Name:
    Rhyannon
    Yup I know slightly hypocritical I know :roll: :roll: :roll: from memory I chose the username cos I have Springers and Cockers and it is a combination of the two ... and as you have said as soon as you say my dog is a springer/cocker cross round where I am people say "sprocker"

I think like other people have said I don't like the names that have "oodle" cos anything with a poodle cross seems to fetch a premium, sure if people are silly enough to pay it then more fool them.

Your dog is gorgeous and I am sure you will get a great deal of love and fun from him. My Broc is adoreable and very soft and energetic a real snuggle bum of a boy.
  14. janeyr

janeyr New Member

Name:
    jane
    He's a cutie whatever he is!!!!
  15. Josilou

Josilou New Member

Name:
    Josilou
    looks like a working cocker to me
  16. firefox

firefox New Member

Name:
    Suzy
    That's the conclusion I've come to too since meeting a pedigree of the breed who was his spitting image!
    He's turning into a real darling. I adore him! :D
  17. Coco86

Coco86 New Member

Name:
    AJ
    Your puppy looks exactly like ours did when she was smaller, what a beauty!
  18. wallaroo

wallaroo New Member

Name:
    Gill
    Nice to see this thread again. I'm still amazed how much he is like Toby in his baby pics! Any updated photos?
  19. firefox

firefox New Member

Name:
    Suzy
    Hi!
    Yup, he's 10 months old now and driving me nutty! Do they all go through a headstrong phase at this age???

This was last month:
    [​IMG]
  20. Manyana13

Manyana13 New Member

Name:
    Maryann
    I have just looked at this thread for the first time and was going to say he looks just like my Poppy's dad - a working cocker... then read the rest! He is stunning, I chose not to read the 'headstrong bit' as Poppy is only 4 months old and can just imagine what she will be like at 10 months (I am still in denial!) :grin:
  21. Moli

Moli New Member

Name:
    pat
    He is the image of a pal's working cocker...