Is the Belgian Malinois the breed for me? Questions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by DogsRMyLife, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    If you're looking for an intelligent, highly versatile, athletic breed then a Giant Schnauzer would probably suit you

Giant Schnauzers excel in obedience, agility., herding, carting and tracking as well as IPO. In Europe, particularly Germany where they originate from, they're also used as Police Dogs.

Our trainer has two both of whom compete in IPO, agility and tracking. As with all pure bred dogs it's very important though to find a breeder who breeds dogs with a good sound temperament.

The down side of owning one is the grooming because although they don't shed mush they do need regular brushing and trips to the groomer to have their coats clipped.

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. DogsRMyLife

DogsRMyLife New Member

Name:
    HappyDog
    @Pork1
    Ok thank you for your advice. But where I live they cost a fortune! Anywhere from $2000-$3000 here. And I was starting to look at the BC. I find a decent breeder and all of his pups seem to have excellent temperaments and not so prey driven and herd driven. He has what he calls the 'show kind' and he also has the 'work kind'. Would this dog maybe be in my category.
  4. DogsRMyLife

DogsRMyLife New Member

Name:
    HappyDog
  5. muddymoodymoo

muddymoodymoo New Member

Name:
    muddymoodymoo
    I believe the Malinois has not only a high prey drive but also a very high energy levels. And as such may not be a good candidate for spending his days in doggy day care. The best place to get information must, surely, be Mal owners and breeders. Maybe there are those who breed more sedate Mals that may be just what you're looking for.
  6. DogsRMyLife

DogsRMyLife New Member

Name:
    HappyDog
    Everyone who has giving me advice, thank you. I realize I probably couldn't be able to fit the dog's needs, and he would end up destructive. I don't want that for any dog. Thanks for letting me see your point. Also, could you guys suggest a few dog breeds that might fit me better?

I've been doing research on the following breeds:

1. Parson Russel Terrier
    2. GSD
    3. Goldador
    4. Border Collie
    5. Basset Hound

(I LOVE and have grown up with huge dogs. So please let them be bigger then 40-50pds, probably closer to 80+)
  7. Nugget180

Nugget180 New Member

Name:
    Gary
    You should see my dog open doors I had to move the deadbolt lock higher so she couldn't open the front door
  8. Nugget180

Nugget180 New Member

Name:
    Gary
    Yeah your close most people kinda consider them the same dog here in the US and in Belgium just coat differences is what seperatly the breed but all in all same dog
  9. Ellie_Bagoodle

Ellie_Bagoodle New Member

Name:
    Ellie
    I know I’m a little late to reply (I just joined this form), but I just wanted to put in my two cents. I currently live in a 600 sqft apartment in the city with my 9 month old malinois, and she is the best dog ever. Yes, there are days when she’s super energetic and yes we do still have some training issues (who doesn’t at this age?), but she is extremely loyal and loving, friendly, and eager to please. Based on the life you described, I would 100% recommend a malinois if you are interested in the breed.
  10. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome to the forum Ellie.
    Don't be afraid to start a thread about your puppy, and we love to see photos on here.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    @Ellie_Bagoodle - I admire you trying to cope with and train a 9 month old Malinois in a 600 sqft apartment in the city - I have enough problems with a 5.6kg mini-monster in a 64sq metre [689 sqft] bungalow with an accessible yard! - you must have the patience of a saint!
  12. Hailey

Hailey New Member

Name:
    Hailey
    If there are kids pulling on your Great Dane and getting in its face I would definetly say no to a malinois. If you can't watch the puppy during puppy daycare (not sure if that's your job there or what you do) I would say no. One mess up where other dogs are too pushy to a mal and it can make the mal dog aggressive. You'll need to do more than just agility, trick training, and obedience with your malinois. A bitework sport is the best for them but not everyone can do it however flyball, dock diving, and weight pull are great alternatives. When my malinois was younger he was a much more calm dog. Now that he's 9 months he's got way more of a malinois temperament. Of you do decide to get a malinois make sure it's from a good breeder. Malinois aren't great dogs for most people, you will end up getting bit sometime because your dog misses its tug. If you really want one and understand that not all of them have off switches, I'd say possibly you could own one.