Is the EBT going the same way as the Bulldog? Controversial

Discussion in 'Bull Terrier' started by El Caso Shaun, Jan 3, 2009.

1. El Caso Shaun

El Caso Shaun New Member

Name:
    Shaun

Is the EBT going the same way as the Bulldog?

Hi

6 months back I picked up a very sprightly EBT from a local rescue centre. He had been locked in a flat for 18 months, barely fed or watered, never walked, completely unsocialized etc. He was suffering with all manner of illnesses and infections, living in his own excrement etc and was considered unrehousable, owing to his wildness.

Anyway, after working with him for up to 6 hours a day and feeding him well, he has become a real good lad. He is small for a bully at 20kilos but is an incredible athlete, so far removed from the lumbering slabs of overly-heavy-boned specimens I have seen in Britain. This got me thinking back to conversations I have had with people from Australia, Canada, S.Africa and northern India where the sleeker EBT has, and is, used for hunting wildboar, amongst millions of other things.

Now,after looking at breeders on the net I can only find dogs which are the antithesis of athletic, with bigger guts than chests, crazily exaggerated heads etc.and it is making me very sad that, unless some people take it upon themselves to turn this fantastic breed back into the athlete it once was, we are going to have a Rugby-ball headed Bulldog that can´t even get up a flight of stairs unaided.

By the way, the character of the EBT still ensures that it´s my favourite breed, but I just hope that smaller, fitter examples are still being bred, like Hinks intended all those years ago. All breeds evolve, of course, but after looking at EBT pictures from a century ago I can´t see how this evolution is a positive thing.

Anybody see fit, athletic bullies still knocking about?Know any breeders? Please PM me, if yes.

Thanks a lot

Shaun
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. teenytiny

teenytiny New Member

Name:
    *sammy*
    Totally agree. Bullys these days look like barrels on legs. The heads don't seem to be the correct shape either. I have a bully bitch who is only just 6mths old and she is very athletic in shape. I will let het have a litter, but not until she is at least 2 years old.
  4. sbt4eva

sbt4eva New Member

Name:
    tracie
    All i will say is thanks goodness ?????,just have a look at the Ingles Bull terrier;-)
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2009
  5. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james
  6. sbt4eva

sbt4eva New Member

Name:
    tracie
    Thanks for putting link up,i did post but wasnt sure if allowed so edited.Fantastic work has been done there and the bullies are amazing.:grin:
  7. danny teflon

danny teflon New Member

Name:
    danny teflon
    ahh, my second favourit subject, personally i prefer the mini bull terrier but only if its balanced, say 1.2 kilos for every inch in height (the standard is 10 to 14 inches) so its bully but not like a barrel. take a look at duvessa or margin breeders, beautiful dogs and more champions than you can shake a stick at. Its going the same way with staffys in the uk, short and squat, not what they once were. shame:-(
  8. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james
    Give me an ebt that does not have a downward shaped muzzle and is well balanced something like this.

[​IMG]
  9. danny teflon

danny teflon New Member

Name:
    danny teflon
    that would be taken away and destroyed as a 'pit bull type' if you lived near me mate. good looking dog though, wheres the pic from?
  10. longford

longford New Member

Name:
    james

I doubt it its a pic of one from the early 1900's stuff they sent with them to india they also call them the gull wing terrier and i believe they have still got small pockets of them based in the old british colonies
  11. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    I prefer the barrel shape, so just as well they all share that endearing nature...
  12. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Can I say she probs looks athletic due to being so young, nothing else...and why would you take a litter from her ?
  13. Bigsambully

Bigsambully New Member

Name:
    James
    I like them a bit I between they should be quite stocky however narrower at the rear the head IMO is what makes ppl love or hate it