Jäger Feld Spaniel or English Springer? Questions

Discussion in 'Gundog Forum' started by Carl Lamb, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Carl Lamb

Carl Lamb New Member

Name:
    Carl

Jäger Feld Spaniel or English Springer?

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me? I have an amazing dog called Alfie and he's been part of our family for about 6 years now. Anyway I got him from a German breeder and on the pedigree paperwork he is listed as a Jäger Feld Spaniel, which to those that aren't German speakers, means Hunter Field Spaniel. I have been told that he is a English Springer and also that he is a Field Spaniel - both of which he is too tall for!! How do I figure out which one he is????:)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Florence

Florence New Member

Name:
    Florence
    Hi and welcome!
    Have you got a picture of him? As far as I know there is no such thing as a Jäger Feld Spaniel, not on the FCI breed list anyway. It is possible that it's a relatively new breed from Germany that has yet to esablish itself perhaps.
    But I reckon most likely it's something made up to sound more fancy. For staffies there are all these special names (King staffy, american staffy, miniature staffy) which usually means it's a cross breed or a dog that doesn't fit the standard.

Anyway, not that any of this matters :)
  4. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Colour for starters

Field Spaniel:-

ESS:-

Size

Field Spaniel:-

ESS:-

Field spaniels if my memory serves me right are a heavier dog that a ESS or at least a stockier dog

Could the dog be a Working Cocker ?
  5. chlosmum

chlosmum New Member

Name:
    Barbara
    I know how confusing it can be when you buy a puppy in a foreign country.

In Hungary Chloe is known as a "Palota Pincsi" which roughly translated means "a small dog that lives in a manor house"???? No one could tell me what breed she was and it took me months of searching online before I discovered she's a Tibetan Spaniel!

No relation by the way to Spaniels as we know them in England but an ancient breed from (obviously) Tibet .... their nearest relatives being Pekingese.

Anyway good luck with your search ... pictures would be helpful.
  6. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    Hi and welcome from me too.:grin:

There are a number of spaniel owners here and I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can advise you. Posting a photo on here would be a good idea:grin: