Japanese Chin is ignoring me Behaviour

Discussion in 'Japanese Chin' started by Levita, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Levita

Levita New Member

Name:
    Levita
    LVL521 and Azz like this.

Japanese Chin is ignoring me

Hello, I am new to this site.. I need some advise about my Japanese chin.. Here is the problem..
    My Japaneses Chin
    I am hoping someone can help me with discipline issues with my chin Ozzie... He is 4yrs old and a very loving dog.. Yet he has a very very stubborn streak.. He has always been very good about going out to potty and coming back in when you call him... Recently he has started ignoring me.. When I call him he looks at me and turns and goes the other way.. I know in the articles I have read it tells you not to discipline them... Not to talk harsh to them and so on.. How do I solve this problem? I always reward him with treats and lots of praise... I don't feel he should have treats for doing wrong and running off... I really need some help with this...
    Thank you..
    Levita
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Hi Levita - welcome to Breedia :)

Sounds like you need to brush up on recall ;) check out this article on Dogsey - it's what I used for my own dog and his recall was excellent. Pay particular attention to the 'special weapon' part - I noticed a massive difference after putting that into practise.

Would love to see some photos of Ozzie too if you get a moment.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Sounds as if Ozzie is a strong character with a mind of his own! Is this typical of the breed? I don't know much about them.

I do know they are absolutely beautiful though, and would love to see a picture!
  6. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    I guess it's like any dog, you have to make yourself far more interesting than everything else. I find being unpredictable helps as they can't figure out what your about to do next. I don't reward with treats so don't have that problem. Is he ignoring you or trying to manipulate you. I find with Tucson one of my Pugs she will frequently not come when called or look up and look away not because she's ignoring me but she wants me to chase her, she seems to find it hysterical if I chase after telling her to get in there or I'll smack your bum. I've made a rod for my own back with her but she makes me laugh so much with her antics I can't help it. As soon as I chase her she's off tail wagging like a loon and making a noise that sounds distinctly like laughter
  7. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    His he neutered as being 4 years old he is now matured & could be testing your authority.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Once again, I agree with Trouble! You need to make yourself more interesting than his surroundings. It doesn't matter how you do it - make a fool of yourself if necessary!
    I would save some extra super treats for the recall (baked liver, boiled ham, cheese etc ), and make sure that there are always a two or three ready in your pocket for when you are going to call him. Use a 'baby' voice, and as soon as he shows a sign of respondiing, give him an encouraging 'Yes', and make a show of reaching for your treat.
    If he's being mischievous, you could try running away whilst lowering your height, or, try attracting him to play with with a ball or squeaker - he mustn't feel that if he comes back, his fun comes to an end. Air Kong make some packs of small squeaky tennis balls that are ideal for toy dogs, (and are not too noisy in use).