Joining but not posting Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Malka, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Joining but not posting

Looking through New Posts and seeing New Profile Posts, why do people join, fill in a Profile, but never actually post on the forum? This is just one example:

http://www.forum.breedia.com/members/steph-l.39739/

I do not understand why so many people post in that section but never post on the forum. The above is just one example and I wonder why the OP filled in a Profile, asked a question, but did not ask the question on the forum. Just in their Profile which only shows up under New Profile Posts.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Perhaps they don't know how to use this type of forum?

Perhaps they meant to come back when they had more time and couldn't find it again :)
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris - if someone does not know how to use this type of forum, how come they know enough to fill in a Profile and ask a question but not know how to ask it on the forum?

Have a look through and see how many people are capable of filling in a Profile but "do not know" how to post on the forum?

Look at the number of forum members, then look at how many have not posted even one post since joining.

Ach, it is not my problem, but that person asking about breeding their Shar Pei - not bothering to ask on the forum - $$$$$$$ and yet more puppies in rescue centres.

Chris - have a look at some of those Profiles who never post, and ask yourself why? If they are legitimate, why not post on the forum and just post a Profile?
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris - people can do what they want - it is their prerogative. But I just cannot understand why people ask questions that could easily be asked, and answered, on the forum, but just fill in a Profile, ask a basic question, and think that is all they have to do?
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris - people can do what they want - it is their prerogative. But I just cannot understand why people ask questions that could easily be asked, and answered, on the forum, but just fill in a Profile, ask a basic question, and think that is all they have to do?
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I rarely look at profiles the only time might be if they do post on forum and I want to see where they are from though usually they don’t add that on.
    I think it depends on what you are looking for in a forum.
    Many members may join and find it's not what they are looking for and simply do not come back.
    Some will sign up just so that they can get some education. Maybe they don't feel that they can really contribute to the conversations.
    The forum is not active enough; if you join a forum and see no one else chatting you won’t post either

There are also loads of established members who visit the site everyday but never post, I would say there is only about 4/5 regular posters now.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Vee - I just want Breedia to wake up a bit - is that too much to ask? Very few people will look at a Profile and if the person does post on it but not on the forum, how can it be expected for the forum to become active?

Yes, there are so few regular posters now, but what can we do?
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Many reasons Malka.
    Perhaps had a read through and discovered that there are not many active Shar Pei breeders on here.
    Joined a breed club, or specific breed forum.
    Discovered the information they wanted elsewhere on the net.
    Realised it was a UK forum, and they were US.
    Chickened out if they came across an argument.

I loitered on a site for nearly a year before I dared post on a topic, and then remember feeling so worried that the sky would fall in. It would be good if we had more interactions - some begin well, then suddenly lapse, but people have so much other stuff in their lives.
  10. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    When I first joined this forum in 2014 it was very busy but bit by bit everyone is disappearing why I don’t know.

People post questions on their specific breed, but there is hardly any replies from owners of that breed which is a put off strait away, if I was posting a question on GSD’s I would want Gsd owners to answer, yes we can answer some general questions but not specific to that breed, and I do believe that puts lots of new members off.

If I go onto the Gsd section I can spend ages looking for a specific thread, as there is no sub forums that one can click onto for info, For example I put health into gsd section and this is what I got

http://www.forum.breedia.com/search/4198600/?q=health&o=date&c[node]=109

Sorry but life/time is to short.
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I understand that, but why bother to fill in a Profile and a question before posting? Have there been any arguments here? Not that I know of, although there have been questions about why people want to breed their dogs/bitches. Even so, there have not, TBMK nasty comments.

And if they had read the forum before joining and still joined, why? Yes this is a UK forum but there are more than a few US members - and I am neither.

OK, breed specific forum. Understandable. But it still does not explain filling in a Profile and the pfffft why the forum was joined. Anyone can read it without joining and filling in a Profile.

And that is what I do not understand.
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Are some areas blocked prior to putting in a profile/actually joining?? Long time since I did it so I forget.

I think the forum is too small now (in respect of active members) to split it further into breed sections, but I know not all will agree. I can see the positives of having different breed sections on a very active forum, but on one with few active members it tends to reduce contributions still further
  13. Yazmin

Yazmin New Member

Name:
    Yazmin
    I regularly come on the forum (atleast once a day) but won't always post. It's interesting to hear other people's stories or questions with usually valuable answers. I'm not a long term member but I do enjoy reading posts especially the ones with pics attached!
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Apologies for the odd word "pfffft" - I think I meant to say "reason" but was having a sneezing fit and idiot me did not preview before posting. :oops:

Chris - I do not know if Breedia has a minimum number of posts before someone can use an avatar and signature, but if you click on New Posts you will then see, next to it, New Profile Posts - and there are more than a few people, with avatars and details yet have never posted.

Vee - IIRC, when all the breed sections were transferred from Dogsey to here, all Dogsey members were automatically transferred as well, but if you look at the total number of Dogsey members there are a heck of a lot who joined but never posted. As if they were ghost members. And they were all transferred here. Many Dogsey members obviously preferred to stay there, which was their prerogative, but that also might explain why there are so few active members here - and it disturbs me as Breedia could/should have been a brilliant breed forum.

And Breedia also has sections for crossbreeds and mongrels, which shows that it is not just a "gotta have a pure bred pedigree whatever" to post on it, which is, for me at least, comforting, as I was able to talk about my beloved Pereg, the few days I had Baby Ziva, both being of unknown breeds, and now the funny little puppy Tikva who I love dearly.
  15. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I love your explanation of 'pfffft', my biggest smile of the day.
    I agree about the ghost Dogsey members. It is how I came to join Breedia. Some of them do check in occasionally, but very few join in with any discussions. The transferred Dogsey posts can actually create a slight problem when people don't realise how old they are - I made the same mistake myself at first.
    I can see that there are people who check in with Breedia almost every day. I can only say, please, why not join in and have your say? We only bite when it is a full moon!
  16. katilea

katilea New Member

Name:
    Kate

So that's how I ended up being a member of this forum! thought I couldn't remember joining or looking through it first!