JRT training Questions

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by CHESKA, Oct 10, 2017.

1. CHESKA

CHESKA New Member

Name:
    CHESKA

JRT training

Hello i have a 6 year old jack I have owned him for a couple of years and struggling to do different training with him he is house trained but wanted to do some fun training with him he is a rescue and nothink motivates him! Is this normal ?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    What type of training are you wanting to do with him?

What have you tried in respect of motivating him?

What are his favourite things to do?
  4. CHESKA

CHESKA New Member

Name:
    CHESKA
    More like tricks and obedience just for him to listen in general haha he is very much he will do his own things in his own terms kind of dog haha

I have used food but he's not really interested in it I have tried cheese and meat which he loves but is there not just put in his mouth he will happily leave

I have also tryed toys but again if there not just given to him he will walk away

He's very lazy and uninterested in everything
  5. CHESKA

CHESKA New Member

Name:
    CHESKA
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    He's lovely.

It sounds like he's trained you very well :)

Try being a little bit harder to get. By that I mean wait for him to work for that treat or that toy. If he looks uninterested, walk away until he comes back to you then ask for an action he knows and reward it. End the session there. The next time, try a couple of requests before ending the training session.

Make it fun. Get down to his level and have a good play or cuddle and throw in the training in between.

He'll soon come to enjoy it and start to like working for you
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Chris B likes this.
    How much exercise do you give your JRT? He does look in good condition, and doesn't appear overweight, but I notice that he does have flat toes and long nails. I would increase the amount of exercise that he has, and in the way that Chris says, encourage him to work for his treats.
    I have had dogs with whom play can feel very artificial, and know that it can be hard to motivate dogs like these. Remember that he is a terrier, and try to pick games that might appeal to his basic terrier instincts, like grabbing at a long soft tuggy rope, or chasing a soft toy on a string. Don't tug too hard or too quickly, give him lots of chances to win the game, and lots of praise when he does succeed. It can be demoralising if the human is always stronger, or you never manage to catch the rat.
  8. CHESKA

CHESKA New Member

Name:
    CHESKA
    CaroleC likes this.
    He does het alot of exercise his nails just done seem to wear down he has about 3 hours off lead a day when im.in work but when I'm off he has about 6 as my day normally avolves around him lol and thanks I'll give it s try see how he gets on
  9. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    He's a lovely looking dog. Strange that he doesn't seem interested in playing - he must be one of life's thinkers!

Does he react at all to a squeaky toy?
  10. CHESKA

CHESKA New Member

Name:
    CHESKA
    I don't no his back ground so I don't no if that could be why ? I got him when he was 3 he ended up in my kennels and he is a very nervous dog when I got him and never new how to play or interact now he loves everything especially squeaky toys but at the same time if there not just given he will just state at u for hours untill walking away he will not move or even try to do anything to get the treat or toy he just stand there and once u give him toy he will lie and chew it but not play with u xx
  11. CHESKA

CHESKA New Member

Name:
    CHESKA
    CaroleC and Janet like this.
    20170915_183118_011_01.jpg He's just got two new brothers so I'm defo not getting his attention for a while
  12. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    A word to the wise. He's a terrier and a terrier's instincts tend to lead them to chase and often kill small animals. Make sure his two new brothers are well out of his reach
  13. CHESKA

CHESKA New Member

Name:
    CHESKA
    He's always been around small animals he is never alone with any as there isn't 100 % trust because of his breed but he's is surprisingly good with them as he lives with a free roaming rabbit that tells him off haha