Knee Surgery Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Lowingnl, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Lowingnl

Lowingnl New Member

Name:
    Nathan

Knee Surgery

Unfortunately my 2 year old Akita, Seiko has suffered a torn CCL. W he is having X-rays to see what type of surgery, TPLO or Tightrope, will be best.

I am in search of anyone that has experienced knee surgery with the breed, successful or not.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chellie

Chellie New Member

Name:
    Chellie
    My Akita had TPLO surgery on both knees by the time she was about 6 years old. It was a relatively new procedure when she had it but we thought it the best choice. It was, she lived until 2 months before her 15th Birthday and, apart from a spot of arthritis in her later years, she was mobile all of the rest of her life. A few days before we lost her she was still walking up to 4 miles a day. Fantastic dog, miss her every day.
  4. Lowingnl

Lowingnl New Member

Name:
    Nathan
    Thank you for responding. That is awesome! I have heard good things about that particular procedure. We have spoken with a surgeon here in NC and are waiting to see if he is a good candidate for the tightrope procedure.
  5. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    Lowingnl likes this.
    My heart goes out to you and I wish Seiko a speedy recovery, keep us posted about her progress.
  6. Lowingnl

Lowingnl New Member

Name:
    Nathan
    Thank you for that. He had the Tightrope procedure done about a week and a half ago on his right knee, of which he had injured during the 2 weeks of being confined for injuring his left knee. That being said, the recovery has been going well so far. Within the first 5 days he was starting to put more and more weight on the repair. We think a lot of his progress is due to his stubbornness and determination. We see the doctor to remove the staples this week. We are hoping he will be encouraged by his progress and will be able to have the same procedure on his left leg.
  7. Branjo Snow

Branjo Snow New Member

Name:
    Branjo
    Lowingnl likes this.
    That is great news! :)

I guess that stubbornness in Akita's pays off after all lol, way to go Seiko!

:023:
  8. Lowingnl

Lowingnl New Member

Name:
    Nathan
    It sure does! Especially in this case.

Attached Files: