Know anyone who has (english) Pointers? General Chat

Discussion in 'Pointer' started by Alphatest, Jun 2, 2006.

1. DalaiMama

DalaiMama New Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Reviving this old thread to see if there are any Pointer people around :)

I have an 8 year old Pointer, he is my dog of a lifetime, a complete and utter gentleman, and my best friend. :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I have a friend whos family is involved with the breed, showing etc, I do not know their kennel name but could ask.
  4. DalaiMama

DalaiMama New Member

Name:
    Jackie
    That would be great, thank you. My dog's breeder seems to have stopped breeding and disappeared. You never know, I might feel the urge to have another. Its just the early days when you have to be as fit as a flea to chase after them up hill and down dale :D

My dad took him for a walk once, he is used to dogs that stay nearby and he nearly had heart failure when Archer took off into the sunset.

Beautiful dogs but, especially when young, don't let one off in an interesting place if you have to be anywhere in a hurry. Times I have spent 20 minutes sitting on a log waiting for him to come back.

He is over that now at the ripe old age of 8 but the first couple of years were a laugh.

His favourite place in the world is Salisbury Plain, I have a friend who lives on the edge of it and he adores visiting.

Such sweethearts, gentle, kind and sensitive.
  5. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I do believe they are soon to have a litter.......
  6. DalaiMama

DalaiMama New Member

Name:
    Jackie

Aw, puppy breath and squishy pink paws....

Seriously, maybe I could fit just one more in the bed. I am at home all the time now and still can run (ok, I admit it, joggle :D ), so it might be a good time to think of it.

I did look in rescue but can't find any Pointers, they are not a terribly common breed although a couple appeared in my village after they fell in love with Archer.

He has this way of cuddling up to people which makes them think they are really special and everyone in the village knows and loves him. There is one man who gets down and gives him a huge kiss, much to the disgust of his dog :D

Yes, I am a proud mama :D
  7. Zoundz

Zoundz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    i still want a pointer very very badly :) I may be looking at starting to try and find a puppy next year, or at least, ealyl starting to research breeders over here. Any 'pointers' on how to approach this?! :lol: :D

xx
  8. DalaiMama

DalaiMama New Member

Name:
    Jackie
    LOL! You are punny ;-)

Casting my mind back to when I was looking, that was about 9 years ago. I first went on the KC website and found breeders, then looked on their websites and talked to a couple on the phone. I went to visit one to have a look at their dogs and my dog's mama, then when he was born I went to choose him (or him me!) and then he stayed with his breeder until he was 12 weeks or so. It was my breeder's advice that he spent as long as poss with his mum to learn doggie manners.

His mama sat on my lap when I met her and the breeder had a young son at the time, there were beautiful Pointers all over the house and garden and they were friendly, well cared for and healthy looking, I just felt that she really cared for her dogs and loved them. She also offered to have the pup back if it didn't work out, in fact she demanded it :D

I liked her too, just a feeling. That's how I did it, took my time, looked around and went with the breeder who felt right.

Daft pup, first time I visited him he got trapped in a welly and ran off with a mop head. I should have known then :D

One thing I would say about Pointers is that in my experience they are extremely sensitive, they hate being shouted at, so you have to have a kind and gentle approach. I do, however, have a stern 'voice of god' when needed which can stop him in his tracks, that came in useful yesterday when he spied a rabbit on the railway line, the fencing is good but trust a pointer to seek out the only hole in the fence for miles, eeek!
  9. werewolf

werewolf Member

Name:
    private
    I will find out some info and keep you posted xxx
  10. mandyB

mandyB New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    Here's a couple of up to date photos of my favourite dog, Bracken, now 2yrs old.:grin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. DalaiMama

DalaiMama New Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Oh he is an absolute stunner, such a lovely dog!
  12. mandyB

mandyB New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    Hi DalaiMama.

Thank you for the lovely comments. I think he's gorgeous but then I'm slightly biased.:lol:

I have to agree with all you've said on the Pointer's character you've described them perfectly.:grin:
  13. DalaiMama

DalaiMama New Member

Name:
    Jackie
    I don't think there is a sweeter natured dog in the world (I am biased too :D Here is a pic of my boy, its not great, I only have a phone camera.

[​IMG]
  14. mandyB

mandyB New Member

Name:
    Mandy
    Oh he's gorgeous! I do like them heavily marked. What breeding is he?
  15. eddiee

eddiee New Member

Name:
    eddiee
    I have had the pleasure of living with 2 at different times..

They were both really sweet natured they lived with cairn terriers and not once did we have any problems with the pointers..

My last one (Lilly) broke my heart about 6 months ago, i cant look at her photo even now without crying. I wouldnt of missed being part of her life for anything xx
  16. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Great shots everyone - keep the pics coming :mrgreen:
  17. buzzie

buzzie New Member

Name:
    Joan
    These pictures are gorgeous, I just love the breed.
  18. roxi

roxi New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    I love Pointers :), we struggled to decide between them and Vizslas. but maybe in the future....such lovely dogs, great pics.
  19. Zoundz

Zoundz New Member

Name:
    Laura
    oooh so many gorgeous pics! :D I am still struggling between bracco italiano and pointer though... I just don't know!

knowing me i'll end up with another rescue mutt! :lol:

xx
  20. Pointer Freckle

Pointer Freckle New Member

Name:
    sharon
    Hey I have a bitch out of a gromas sire and anacapa dam!!!!!!!
  21. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    I have an 8 month old Pointer called Codee, she is a diamond albeit very norty!! She lives very happily with her English setter brothers Jamie and Deacon!
    Here she is...
    Posing beautifully...
    [​IMG]

and on her adventures...
    [​IMG]