Lab peeing in the house Questions

Discussion in 'Labrador Retriever' started by JosephV1, Feb 20, 2017.

1. JosephV1

JosephV1 New Member

Name:
    Joseph

Lab peeing in the house

Hello all,
    I have an adult lab in my home. I've been house training her for the last three years. She listens to all my commands except one. She pees everywhere it's not supposed to be. I need two suggestions from you all. First of all, I would like to know how you all remove the pet stains from carpets and walls? I found an article regarding this, but I would like to confirm the cleaning tips based on your cleaning experience. Then. how do you all train your lab not to pee inside the home?? I am really tired of cleaning the carpets and walls again and again. Please share your valuable suggestions here. Thanks in advance.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    Have you had her checked by a vet to make sure she doesn't have a UTI? Or if she's been spayed that it's not spay incontinence?

If neither of those are the case, then go back to basics with house training and take her out at hourly intervals and use a cue word like "go pee pee". The moment she does a wee, praise her enthusiastically and reward her with a high value treat which you only use for that purpose. Hopefully, she'll soon learn that weeing in the garden is far more rewarding than doing it in the house.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I would take her to the vet to rule out any underlying cause.
    For cleaning
    Biological washing powder or:
    Try vinegar and baking soda, mix one cup of distilled white vinegar with one cup of water and two heaping tablespoons of baking soda, put in spray bottle Shake it up, spray it on the carpet leave for few mins then blot it up.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I agree with all the above, including the health checks.
    Is she actually peeing, or leaking? Three years is a long time, could this be because she has been left alone for long periods? She will not train herself if there is nobody there to let her out. Never punish her for soiling, or make her feel guilty. This only creates anxiety, which just makes the situation worse. Watch her carefully for signals, if she has become secretive, put a couple of large cat bells on her collar so you can hear when she is moving about.
    The advice on the cleaning site looks fine to me. I also find these biological sprays useful for light soiling, (I have a dog that drools), and the routine cleaning of dog beds and doorways.
  6. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    If you've tried the above suggestions, then another, but more frustrating training tip would be to have her on her lead at all times in the house and attached to you (a waist lead is useful). This allows you to give her your full concentration and spot when she is going to squat so that you can get her outside to your preferred area.

At her age, her toileting indoors has become an entrenched habit and the only way to train her out of it is pure vigilance and 're-programming'.

Good luck. I hope all goes well
  7. Mochiko

Mochiko New Member

Name:
    Meg
    I agree with the other posts. Take your dog to the vet to cancel out any health related problems first. I have a spayed black lab who started leaking at the age of 5. Shes been on medication for 4 years and is almost completely puddle free. How are you going about potty training her?

I've had to potty train a few adult dogs. I always started by taking them out every hour with a treat and clicker in hand. If they still had accidents in the house it just meant I had to start keeping an eye on them at all times. Catching them in the act is important. I made sure that the second my dog squatted or lifted a leg, I was right there to startle them and let them know its a no-no. If that still isn't enough crate training is a great way to train. When all else failed, crate training saved me.