Labrador height General Chat

Discussion in 'Labrador Retriever' started by Diane70, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Diane70

Diane70 New Member

Name:
    Diane

Labrador height

Hi everyone, is there anyone out there who knows anything about labradors. Maddison is 17wks and stands at roughley 16inch. (roughley because she wiggles to much to get it spot on) When we take her out loads of people keep telling us that shes going to be big. She is big boned i think and has big paws. Just wondered what the average size for a 17wk old was.Thanks.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. jols

jols

Name:
    jols
    My lab is 15 weeks on sunday and is 15 inches.

have you registered him with the kennel club?

I have done this and been invited to an online survey thingy. It is good follows your dogs info and tell you the average height etc.
  4. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    Labradors can grow between 22 to 24 inches in males and 21 to 23 inches in females. This is paw to shoulder blade.
    However I have seen grown labs the size of welsh collies (small) and grown labs the size of 6 month old great danes (huge).

There sizes tend to vary, sounds like your pup will be big though :grin:
  5. Diane70

Diane70 New Member

Name:
    Diane
    Thanks, no ive not had her registered yet its being done this week. Sounds like shes about average though. Thanks.
  6. Tarimoor

Tarimoor Member

Name:
    Joanne
    I've got two Lab bitches, Indie, the larger one, is just under 24" at the shoulder fully grown, Tau is about 23" at the shoulder.
  7. swarthy

swarthy New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Not sure where you got your info from

The idea height for a labrador at the withers is:

dogs: 56-57 cms (22-221/2 ins); bitches: 55-56 cms (211/2-22 ins).

Some labradors ar deceptive and 'appear' taller or shorter than they should be - in fact, with many of them, when you put them together with other Labs you discover they aren't actually as 'out' as you might think.

Most pups tend to reach their height by around 6 to 9 months and then body up over the next 12 months.

Her breeding is likely to give an indication of how she will be when she is fully grown - if she has a lot of bone, it suggests she is from show breeding?
  8. Diane70

Diane70 New Member

Name:
    Diane
    Thankyou for your reply. The guy we got her from had mum & dad. Mum was quite chunky(but then she had just had her babies.!!) and dad was tall and atheletic. Shes our girl either way it is just interesting to know. She is very loving & affectionate and an absolute fruitcake at the same time.!! Couldnt have asked for a better dog.x
  9. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I asked my Aunt, she goes to crufts every year :001:
  10. swarthy

swarthy New Member

Name:
    Sue
    So do I - the figures quoted are the UK breed standard - the figures you quoted are not even the American standard heights which are slightly higher than the UK
  11. Jofelicia

Jofelicia New Member

Name:
    Jo
    Just out of interest, I measured my dog. I could only find a six inch ruler so it was hard!!

To the shoulder he is approx 23 inches and he weighs 40 kilos. He is 3 years old.
  12. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    TBH I would not worry about it, whatever your dog is going to be he is going to be.

The largest growth period for dogs is in the first 6 months, the long bones tend to stop growing for MOST breeds at around 10 - 12 months, then dogs fill out, however if a dog is neutered prior to this age, then the dogs tend to grow taller as sex hormones govern when the growth plates close.

Everyone told me my GSD would be small when he was a pup, ho ho ho.

And even if the breed standard says "x" you will find many breeds have well over 50% of their members well over, a good example is the GSD, where the show dogs are well over the breed standard average usually!

Remember, dogs are like babies, when they are mature nobody will care who walked, talked, first, got their adult teeth, or how high they grew! :)