Looking Introductions

Discussion in 'Belgian Shepherd Dog (Malinois)' started by Boocustomstrings, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Boocustomstrings

Boocustomstrings New Member

Name:
    Don

Looking

Hello, my name is Don and I live on a 23 acre farm near Newtonville, Ontario, Canada. I currently have 2 Springers. Both are working dogs and have Springers for almost 25 yrs. One of current dogs is a past field champion in the US and Canada. Both are highly prey driven. One of them is gun shy and the other is like an F1 in the field, full tilt all the time!
    My first Shepherd was pretty territorial as he thought he owned the house, property and car. Although I loved the second one, he let someone break into the house and was as friendly to strangers as my Springers. The other was not outwardly friendly to strangers at first meeting.
    So, although I want a Shepherd again, I am considering a Belgian Malinois. Why? Because I believe I will find the original characteristics of Shepherds in a Malinois. I like a high drive animal (high maintenance), I love an intelligent animal, I don't mind the craziness of a high drive animal (actually I like it), I want a dog that is confident (I know much of that is up to me) and I like precision (when something works exactly as it should). A typical day with my Shepherds was 15 minutes of training in the morning, 15 minutes when I got home from work (he came with me or he'd destroy everything and anything) and then half an hour after dinner. Play time was after training.
    Maybe I'm crazy, but when I look at a Malinois or see them in action, I see a German Shepherd in it's purest form.
    Comments and advice is welcome.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    They are two distinctly different breeds.

I admit that I am biased toward GSD's, but don’t see why a good Gsd couldn’t do something a Mal could, if its high drive your looking for a well bred working line Gsd will give you that.

There is no guarantee that a Gsd/Mal or any other breed will protect yourself or home without being professionally trained.

It does worry me when people who have ‘no’ experience with extreme drives say that's what they want, as I don’t think they realise what they are letting themselves into, then further down the line they decide they cant handle it.

What exactly do you want and expect from the dog ?

This is a litter of working line Mals, just imagine the work involved when they reach maturity.
  4. Boocustomstrings

Boocustomstrings New Member

Name:
    Don
    That is a valid question and thank you for your response!
    What am I looking for? Protection is not a primary concern. I want a constant friend that is steady and confident under any condition and doing anything. One that anticipates my every move. That is suspicious of everyone except family.
    While I know Shepherds and love Shepherds, I want a smaller longer lived dog. I'm still considering a German Shepherd but leaning towards a Malinois.
    BTW, one of my dogs is a high drive animal but only in regards to hunting and anytime we are outside of the house.
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    You need to go and meet some dogs and breeders, visit clubs / training groups / breeders who training their own stock, and see what would suit you and fit your lifestyle.