Lurcher Heinz 57 Or Thoroughbred

Discussion in 'Lurcher Forum' started by Gemini54, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Gemini54

Gemini54 New Member

Name:
    jacquie
    Hi you are probably right,I was reading about "wild cats" and the cheetah is not part of the cat family as there claws dont retract,and they only have made this discovery,so nothing would surprise me I have seen photos of the black panther in cornwall,they look to heavyto be a cat,but you cant really tell those pictures are always blurred.crystalgirl
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The cheetah is a member of the cat family and has semi-retractable claws.

Cheetah
  4. catrinsparkles

catrinsparkles New Member

Name:
    catrin
    It's definitely a cat!
  5. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Cheetahs display some different traits and behaviours than other members of the big cat family but are cats.

I've read that, in common with a couple of other 'cats' their claws are more properly described as 'semi retractable'.

It is not the first time I've seen the question though. Or seen the subject brought up - whether a cheetah is a cat or more strictly a dog.

The characteristics in which they 'differ from other cats' or are 'similar to dogs' are very superficial. Taxonomically cheetahs are no closer to canids in any significant way than any other felid (cat).
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2013
  6. Gemini54

Gemini54 New Member

Name:
    jacquie
    Hi Catinsparkles, I have been reading a lot of wildlife blogs because of D Attenborough.

http://www.jimloy.com/biology/cheetah.htm

It is a contentious issue,but was also reading George Adams,walking with lions,and he and Joy fell out over the cheetah issue,Joy found a cheetah cub and called it Pippa,she tried to do the same thing that she had done with Elsa,but it became to domesticated and couldnt survive in the wild like else and ended up fatally injured.crystalgirl
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What is contentious?

A cheetah is a cat. A felid. A member of the Felidae biological family of cats. Felids

You will find the complete list of Felidae HERE and the Cheetah is included.

Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus)
  8. Pookin

Pookin New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I love my lurcher, he is a mix of collie-saluki and greyhound-deerhound. Does that make him a long dog or a lurcher? He is a handful sometimes but I love him so so much, he is my best and most special dog, maybe because he was so horrible when he was younger.
  9. Gemini54

Gemini54 New Member

Name:
    jacquie
    Hi He sounds like a lurcher should be,a real jack the lad,if you could put him in human form,he would probably be in Fools and Horses.crystalgirl
  10. fieldy

fieldy Member

Name:
    Ju
    Gee whizz I seem to be ages behind this thread but ay oh add my thoughts anyway!! It amuses me with lurchers, that although deemed as a poor mans dog in the olden days they were very much nobility a dog also, and I find that today.travellers have them and also lords of the manor have them..so versatile dogs indeed!no matter where you toss the coin in long dogs or lurchers or mini lurchers as I like to call them when they are crossed with a whippet,they are what you make of them,intelligent quick dogs who's skills need bringing on and not ignored!