Lurchers ARE HOUNDS!!! Controversial

Discussion in 'Lurcher Forum' started by HiHoSilver, Apr 5, 2011.

1. TomtheLurcher

TomtheLurcher New Member

Name:
    Maureen
    I agree it does matter in this instance , you are correct people with lurchers would look on hound sites and lurcher sites.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    Yep would also look on hound & lurcher sites. For type anyway. Office lurcher is mistaken for a grey by anyone who doesn't realise how solid she is.
  4. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    I must admit, I always call my lurchers hounds. But thinking about it I suppose they should be called hound types.
  5. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    I always call mine hounds, well if I was being more accurate to anyone I would call them hound crosses, well apart from telling people what crosses they actually are.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
  6. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    not read the whole thread soz :blush:
    even tho my lurcher had 'hound traits' peeps would of laughed at me if id called him a hound(well that or look very confused)

he was a whippet x bc
  7. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    If it was bred for hunting it's a hound.That's the definition of the WORD hound.That makes lurchers hounds.You could call them 'greyhound type' or 'whippet type' or 'saluki type' or 'deerhound type' but 'hound type' is inaccurate as they ARE hounds.The use of the word 'type' is to describe a similarity to a breed.You could say 'hunting type' to describe a lurcher though why bother when the word 'hound' describes them more efficiently.
    If asked "what kind of dog is a lurcher?"can't think of anyone who wouldn't say the word hound,followed no doubt by a more detailed explanation of types of lurcher or longdog if the enquirer was interested enough.
    If ever any of the different types of lurcher were KC recognised no prizes for guessing which group they'd be shown under...:roll:
  8. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    But they aren't recognised by the KC.

If anyone asked about Sadie - I couldn't describe her without saying "collie" or "Terrier" but she is neither - she is a cross.
    I could say Louie was a gundog - because he is a cross within the group of gundogs.

But whatever - believe what you want. I do agree that in the circumstances of looking for an owner - you would look on hound sites but they are not hounds - they are crosses.
  9. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Still HOUNDS.It's not a matter of belief,it's a matter of FACT.Hunting was what they were invented to do so they are hounds,irrespective of what went into the mix.As is the case of KC breeds,they are cross breeds ancestraly too but because of WHAT THEY WERE BRED FOR they fall into different types.
    Is it in the rules of each section in this forum that a dog must be a KC recognised breed?Tough luck for owners of FCI and AKC hound breeds if so coz there's a lot of those the KC doesn't recognise too.
    I have a cross bred terrier.I call him a terrier (when I'm not calling him 'the little gob....e' that is) and have posted about him in the terrier section.That wasn't moved.
  10. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    The difination of the word hound from the hound according to the free dictionary, what do you think, are they hounds?

11. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    because he is crossed with another terrier i would think.
    i see what u are getting at saying its from the job they were bred to do,but my lurcher had far more herding instincts than even my pure collie and was blue merle,18kg with floppy ears...peeps would not know he was a lurcher unless they were 'in the know' or i told them because of the many breeds that are crossed with they can only be called a 'type' imo....but longdogs imo is a different thing altogether they ARE hounds to me.
  12. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Hint hint, I don't think I've seen any photos before ;)
  13. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    i dont have many on the comp :-( .... i miss my boy he was my bestest friend in the world :cry:

.. Dizzy xxx

[​IMG]
  14. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    He was gorgeous, that face looks like butter wouldn't melt (being a lurcher I doubt thats true though ;)) its such a shame when they pass, but you were lucky enough to have him in your life.
  15. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    thankwoo :)

oh he was a learning curve alright:).... he was nutty but sooo sooo gentle and sensitive..17years he was with me.
  16. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Nutty is great though ;) I know what you mean about sensitive though, most if not all are also clever too, even if they don't do obience lol. I hope that both of mine are with me that long too.
  17. SLB

SLB

Name:
    Aimee
    I forwarded this discussion - well the question anyway, being "Are Lurchers hounds or crossbreeds" on a greyhound forum, here is one of the replies:

Therefore - making them not even crossbreeds unless it's a first cross - they're mixed breeds.

Here is our very own Insomnia's view (hope you don't mind Mel):

18. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Nah, I don't mind. To be honest, I don't mind what they are. Just interesting idea to me. I personally think it's up to the owner what they want to class them as :)
  19. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    fieldy likes this.
    Well (hope you don't mind L) we've seen Dizzy, and heres Honey and Diesel, what would you class each one as, Honey is a first cross Saluki Grey, Diesel is first cross german shepherd Greyhound bred back to the Greyhound.

Honey,

[​IMG]
    SDC19831 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

[​IMG]
    SDC19828 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

Diesel.

[​IMG]
    SDC19863 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

[​IMG]
    SDC19837 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

(I tried to get one showing the body and one more the head on ones that I haven't shown before coz I'm sure people get bored of these two lol, oh and I also know of Diesels cut, it was just easier to let him off but keep it clean then try to keep him on lead.)

So cross breed, mongrel, hound, type or different, and why.
  20. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    They both look like hounds to me. Honey because she's 2 sighthounds crossed, and Diesel because his hound side seems to dominate his other.
  21. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    Lurcher cross Lurcher - the office hound sunbathing. Not her best photo...

[​IMG]

Actually thinking about it if defining hound as type/purpose rather than KC registration lurchers are hounds - bred to hunt game, predominantly sight hound with a spash of something else to make them "better" hunters. Would also include Harriers/ trailhounds etc in there too.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011