Lurchers ARE HOUNDS!!! Controversial

Discussion in 'Lurcher Forum' started by HiHoSilver, Apr 5, 2011.

1. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    My staff crosses were also posted about in that section and they have spaniel in their mix!Hit a mod with pmt I reckon!
    Unfortunate timing as I'm grumpier than usual with post mortem stress.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    This thread got busy while I was taking a call about a cat in trouble..On the left in th photo is terrierx[​IMG][/IMG]foreground is staff spaniel/JRT mix
  4. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Brother to terrierx in previous post,Staff mammy,spaniel jrtx daddy[​IMG][/IMG]
  5. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Blurred image of brother in better detail[​IMG][/IMG]
  6. tillytheterrier

tillytheterrier New Member

Name:
    Gerri
    Tilly is terrier x terrier so I will call her a terrier cross but Gracie is whippet x staffie so although she would be classed as a lurcher, I just call her a crossbreed. Cant say I would call her a hound but then she doesnt look very houndy (until she runs!) :grin:
  7. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    When a lurcher wasn't BRED to be a hunting dog,or the breeding throws up more to the working or terrier side of its background I'd be inclined to go to the crossbreed side in describing it too.If it doesn't hunt it aint a hound.Saying that the BCs I've had through my hands are devils on rabbits but they're just being dogs I guess..But to go back to the original point,why was a thread about lurchers chucked out of hounds while crossbreed terrier threads were kept in the Terrier section?Goes back to my thoughts on PMT.Nice and lively as this thread is it is in the wrong department and is helping not at all with my quest to reunite 2 stolen lurcher/longdogs with their original owners.Shame on the Dogsey mod who moved it!
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
  8. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    The lurcher.co.uk site says:

Which is why lurcher threads are moved to the crossbreed section.

The breed sections are generally there for breeds that breed to type - ie where you can mate a male and female of the same breed and get offspring that look very much like their parents.
  9. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Hi Azz,good ta see ya.That didn't apply to the terriers though did it.The staff x litterbrothers bear no resemblance to each other much less breed true.Sorry that don't wash.
  10. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    oh silly me..i thought this thread was a discussion not a moan at how the forum is run :roll:
  11. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    silly way of putting it imo...so sleddies that arnt worked in harness wouldnt be sleddies,gsd's that are just pets arnt gsd's :?
    a lurcher is a 'type' crossbreed that contains hound.... a longdog is a hound (but still a type)

and no,no shame on mods..there is a lost and found section :roll:
  12. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Lurchers are hounds. They are sight hounds but are a type rather than a breed.

Just to clarify a racing greyhound can be KC registered as long as it has racing papers from the GBGB or the irish greyhound racing board it can be KC registered. A greyhound that has been raced on flapping tracks and is not registered with the apropriate racing board cannot be registered.

My ex racer is registered with the GBGB and the KC and as such can be shown in greyhound classes against show bred greyhounds at any show
  13. HiHoSilver

HiHoSilver New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    My ex racer is registered with the GBGB and the KC and as such can be shown in greyhound classes against show bred greyhounds at any show[/QUOTE]

Nice to know,I'll have to look into it for Pooh Bear.He's turned into such a handsome boy AND he's tall enough not to be completely miniaturised by show greys!I haven't seen many of them but the few I have seen have been enormous compared to track dogs.I haven't looked up Pooh's background yet but I wouldn't be surprised to find he's from coursing breeding.They're inclined to be a lot bigger than their track cousins.
  14. greyhoundk

greyhoundk New Member

Name:
    Eleanor
    Only nobility were allowed pure bred greyhounds, nowt to do with price but the class system in those days. Lurchers were bred because it was illegal for peasants to own greyhounds and carried the death penalty. Lurchers were brought about for hunting, stamina and speed for use by peasants.
  15. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Must admit my dogs now are more hound then my old Deerhound, where I lived one farmer was always threatening to shoot him if he went anywhere near the Deers, Trampus was always in his sites, one day a fallow walked past, Trampus walked with it, more intrested in making friends then killing it lol, now if that had been my cross breed at the time Sadie, it would of been a chase, but she was never threatened :? if it was Diesel he would give a good chase, if it was Honey, probally a better chase, and a try at taking it down, I also had a whippet at the time who was more intrested in playing with the other dogs then the deer, two of them were offically hounds, but didn't want to hunt, my two are crosses but act more houndish then the other two put together :?
  16. Sosha

Sosha New Member

Name:
    Sosha
    fieldy likes this.
    Another reason for lurchers - bred to be better at the job!

Reccon it's a breed vs type thing.

If you define Hound (like Terrier) as a type, then bred to purpose Lurchers are hounds. They're just not a breed - which is not to say selectivity doesn't go into breeding a good working Lurcher. There's a lot of history behind them.
  17. chaz

chaz New Member

Name:
    Charlie
    Not all Lurchers are bred to be better at the job :? my lurcher two generations ago was pure Grey, not a lot of history there, apart from maybe racing, and my longdogs parents were both pedigree too, some may have history, but not all do.

Now talking about types of Lurchers, as a cross they do have a good history, but unfornatly I don't think that many walking down the road do, I don't think mine are the same as the dogs that were bred to be used for poaching when the owners and dogs could be killed for it, I think them dogs would of been a lot brainer for one ;), also a lot of dogs are like mine, have a high chase instinct that can be indiscriminate, I.e they don't care if anyone else see's them running or not, something that would of had to be very strictly controlled when Lurchers were being bred for that reason, infact I've heard moanings about the modern lurcher for this, I do think now that for some Lurchers the reason for breeding has changed, not all are worked from puppies, there are some that are brought as pets that are certain strains, some cross from dogs bred for work, some bred just for pets or accidental litters.

Heres a quote from the about the chase instinct.

http://www.lurchers.org.uk/history.htm

Although I disagree, I think mine make great pets, even being friends with the rabbit, Honey has a thing for the chins too. Also I don't agree with all that is on that website, I'm sure that was one that I read on one of dogs pages that he worked a pregnant bitch on hares.

Although saying that I could drool over an American staghound all day.
  18. Freyja

Freyja New Member

Name:
    Helen
    Nice to know,I'll have to look into it for Pooh Bear.He's turned into such a handsome boy AND he's tall enough not to be completely miniaturised by show greys!I haven't seen many of them but the few I have seen have been enormous compared to track dogs.I haven't looked up Pooh's background yet but I wouldn't be surprised to find he's from coursing breeding.They're inclined to be a lot bigger than their track cousins.[/QUOTE]

Show greyhounds were originally bred from the coursing lines. The breed standard says males should be up to 30" but they are a lot bigger than that. When my show bred William was alive he was 31" to his shoulder but he was one of the smallest in the ring.

If you need any imformation on how to register an ex racer let me know I did Button's it easy when you knwo what to do.
  19. Bobble

Bobble New Member

Name:
    Lyn
    We always classfy them as "Sighthounds"

= Hounds!
    Most of ther attributes tend to be sighthound like - just lkie purebred whips or Ghounds.
  20. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Just want to clarify that now that we've moved the threads to Breedia, the 'group' sections here are not by KC 'groups' (as they were on Dogsey), so the Lurcher threads are welcome in the Hounds section :)
  21. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Oh good - I hope there will be people posting about their Lurchers! I really miss my old Gertie - she died a couple of years ago at nearly seventeen.

Here she is - she was pretty old when this was taken - unfortunately we haven't got any pictures of her on the computer when she was younger.