Malamute dominance/dog aggression - myth? Discussions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Axiom, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Axiom

Axiom New Member

Name:
    axiom

Malamute dominance/dog aggression - myth?

http://www.wayeh.com/wayeh/faq-aggression.htm

This breeder of 10 generation sled champions claims that dog aggression is a trait of the breed, yet no malamute that I've encountered have ever displayed unwarranted aggression or dominance!!. The breed standard does not state any innate problems with aggression towards other dogs.

I want to put up a poll: is your malamute dominant/borderline agressive towards other dogs. And hear from owners here. Most mals I know are just playful and as harmless as an average Golden Retriever.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan
    Only experience with our Pup but.....

She has never seemed to instigate a fight, never growled or raised a hackle. However a fair number of dogs he comes into contact with seem to want to try their luck, so to speak. (in particular small dogs and border collies but i have no idea why)

She does hold a very dominant posture with pointed ears etc which may set them off a bit and if allowed to play a bit can occassionally "slap" other dogs with a paw which (i know) is bloody sore and can provoke a bit of nipping but despite being clipped on the nose by a number of other dogs for having a sniff she never blinks an eye or retaliates in any way......

I certainly wouldnt say she is the aggressor in any situation but i can only asume to other dogs she does look quite dominating/intimidating.
  4. Axiom

Axiom New Member

Name:
    axiom
    No that's too early to tell. My malamute was fairly cowardly until about 13 months, and I suddenly realised my girl was an "alpha". You just don't know until they're approaching adulthood, so keep your eyes open and don't count on anything based on the past. Mine does growl aggressively to some individuals, although usually in her cowl. She is rarely the first aggressor. She ripped a 2 years old amstaff that sent beserk. While as a pup, she got scared when a tiny irish pitbull bit her. Night and day..

Breeders claim the problem starts in adulthood.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  5. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan
    I remain optimistic, currently at 15 months the above holds true...

from what i read in your post it appears that your pup is not traditionally the aggressor which supports the theory that they are at least anecdotally not dog aggressive......

very much sounds like we are in agreement.
  6. Axiom

Axiom New Member

Name:
    axiom
    I would say mine does fit the bill but is so socialized that she excersises restrain. Btw, I looked up a poll, 70% of malamute owners claim their dog is friendly towards other dogs. I wonder if the modern breed has softened? Isn't that fairly easy to manipulate with selective breeding?
  7. Axiom

Axiom New Member

Name:
    axiom