Male American Akita Size Guesstimate Photos

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Maldo321, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Maldo321

Maldo321 New Member

Name:
    Anthony

Male American Akita Size Guesstimate

Good morning friends,

Hard to believe my little man is already 7 months old! the time really does fly by. Anyways I wondered if any of your more seasoned Akita owners could fill me in on what to expect for his growth to come.

He's currently 7 months and about 67 Lbs, his dad was quite large weighing nearly 130 Lbs, but his mom was a bit on the small end of the spectrum weighing near 75lbs. Recently we had an encounter with another akita owner and they told us he looked a little bit on the small side, but his paws shown the makings of a bigger pup. Either way I'm happy he's a great, loving, loyal butthead. added a couple pictures of him (my girlfriend is 5'4) for size comparison IMG_0600.jpg IMG_0575.jpg
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    What a handsome lad.
    Akitas can continue to grow and mature till they’re around 2 years old. It’s hard to tell how big he will grow as all dogs are individuals, and vary in growth stages, genetics /bone structure also play a part.
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    He is a super looking dog, I’m not sure of sizes, all dogs are different
    It’s like Xmas....wait and see
    How is he behaving, if you need any advice there are some super people on here willing to share their knowledge
    Trust me I have asked plenty of questions
  5. Maldo321

Maldo321 New Member

Name:
    Anthony
    He behaves really well! nothing more than your typical puppy behavior. He likes to try to steal socks/pop up on the counter but when we command drop/leave it/off he listens 9/10 times.

the only struggle we have is some of his outside listening. he knows and listens to all his commands inside, but once we get outside (unless we have a high reward treat) he's stubborn as all get out. And he has gotten into a bit of a habit of pulling and a little hop when he sees another dog or stimulus he wants to investigate.

to counter this I've been keeping him at our heel position and giving him a "pull/pulse" on the leash with a low assertive "hey" and not letting him interact with the stimulus.

if anyone has any other advice for outside training it's more than welcome!!
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Beautiful boy!
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What a stunning lad!
  8. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Rugby1983 likes this.
    Hi, Nice to see another Akita person here! My current male Akita weighed only 60 lbs at 7 months, but he had parvovirus as a young pup and only weighed 25 lbs at 4 months. He currently goes between 81-83 lbs and is a week shy of 21 months, he’s been about same weight for at least 3-4 months. His mother was 95 lbs and father was 120 lbs. His grandfather, same on both sides was supposedly 150 lbs. Because of the parvo he may not be great for comparison.. My previous male Akita was much heavier, weighing between 120-125 lbs. He was a very tall but lanky boy. He weighed 90 lbs at either 9 months or a year, I forget which. At that time I asked my vet if he’d be getting bigger and his response was “isn’t he big enough”, I replied yes, I was just curious..”. At first I felt disappointed Bandit, my current male, was staying small but now I like his size a lot. It’s very hard to pick up a 120+ lb dog, especially if they are wiggling around. You have a better chance of less joint injuries with a smaller yet big boned dog. Bandit has huge feet and legs, people often don’t believe me when I say he’s mostly done growing. He also liked to give a hop when excited on a walk, usually having to do with a dog he wanted to say hello to. Also I found all Akita weight charts to be useless with my current pups, they are bigger than those charts indicated they would be. Most important is his health and temperament, enjoy your Akita bear. Hope this was mildly helpful..

I have found that a harness with a lead on the chest works great for countering the pulling. I use an Easy Walk harness made by PetSafe
  9. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    It sounds that you love your dogs
    They are all different weights and sizes, I hope you don’t get too worried that your dogs aren’t big enough.... size isn’t everything!
  10. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Rugby1983 likes this.
    I’m very happy with my pups as they are. Together they are plenty big to scare away would be intruders yet small enough to be manageable. Bonus of smaller is they need less food and don’t take quite as long to brush out.