Male vs females puppy. Questions

Discussion in 'Afghan Hound' started by Katterbee2, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Katterbee2

Katterbee2 New Member

Name:
    Katterbee2

Male vs females puppy.

I am currently waiting on the arrival of afghan puppies through a breeder I have met and spent time with over the last few years. I have met her sire but not the bitch. as I am currently hoping for one of the puppies to be mine in this litter I was wondering if anyone has experience with intact male Afghans and other intact male dogs.
    I currently live with 2 intact rottweilers who are good together. They are 2 and 5 years old, conformation dogs and have obedience titles as well. They are both wonderful dogs. there are times they will growl but we are hypervigilant so that we can try to avoid separating them and we can all live peacefully. We also have a female rottweiler who is in charge of all the dogs and a golden who is adorable and very sweet but kind of mindless.
    Initially we decided a female would work best as the breeder is close and when in heat she has a place to stay so the boys don't become overwhelmed with hormones. honestly I feel a female could still cause problems. I am considering a boy but would like to know otherpeople's experience with intact male Afghans and other intact males. if you could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Elifox likes this.
    i may be wrong but from what I have heard Male Afghans can be a bit iffy with other intact dogs, no different than a lot of dogs to be honest,

I think your problem will be , you have two intact dogs as it is, who get along well together, you might be risking an upset by bringing in another intact dog but then if you bring a bitch in it might also upset your two boys.

Have you spoken to the breeder to ask her advice she will be the best to advise you on how they interact with other dogs/males.
  4. Pohm

Pohm New Member

Name:
    summer
    I think it depends on how good a dog owner trainer and handler you are. And what the nature is of your entire males and females. Though i do believe i recognise the rottie is is the ruler of all dogs bitch. We've one of those here.
    And her role, in keeping my entire males in their place, is enforcing no fighting rule. she's my "bouncer".

I wouldn't trust anyone, including a breeder to tell me if my dog is dog reactive. I would be testing that myself.

You seem to have all bases covered, dog wise. What is this pup aimed at? Excuse my ignorance, i only met one 3 dog pack, at a friends, she raced hers. which they loved. Will this pup race?
  5. Katterbee2

Katterbee2 New Member

Name:
    Katterbee2
    I would like to do conformation and obedience and potentially lure coursing. One of the male rotteilers as the first dog in Canada to get the chase ability excellent title. Chase ability was just opened up to non sight hound dogs this year. we are very proud of that boy.
    Recognizing that training can be tougher with an Afghan my plan is to start with the basics from the very beginning but we will see how it goes I guess.
    Thank you both for you thoughts.