Meeting other dogs Behaviour

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by katie134, Mar 15, 2016.

1. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie

Meeting other dogs

hi so blue 5 months now , I couldn't get the puppy classes still all full up really gutted and the other one is too far away for the puppy as I don't drive . Ived not been letting blue off the lead as we're now working on his recall so I can avoid certain dogs with him so he don't get into trouble , however blue been meeting dogs everyday on the lead , but I have noticed when he meets other dogs the hair on his spine can go up from his neck to his tail , he sniffs there mouth area and his tail can wag or can be stiff sometimes .Is this a sign of aggression with other dogs , I just want the best for him .He also don't like it when dogs sniff his bum area any advice would be helpful thanks x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Hackles are a sign of arousal that could be aggression, excitement, fear or just unsure, it is important how you handle the situation, if you get concerned and make a big deal out of it then it becomes an issue, keep calm and confident, if you feel concerned, he will pick it up, watch his body language if you think he's getting uncomfortable distract him playfully with voice ,toy or what works best for him.
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    CaroleC and katie134 like this.
    Could do what I did & formed a dog walking group up, I printed 100 flyers (2 printed flyers on each A4 sheet then cut in half) posted them in houses in nearby streets.
    I now have 34 members & 27 seasonal members, we walk to/from park together (safety in numbers during dark winter months) the elderly dogs taught the young upstart pups a thing or 2 about how to greet other dogs, didn't take the pups long to learn how the correct way was to greet other dogs.
    I have Staffies, GSD's, Labradors, Cross Breeds, Poodles, Boxers, Akita, Rottweilers , Yorkies, Border Terriers, Minpins, JRT's/PRT's & of course my 6 JRT's (Dottie is muzzled) all running free on park & playing nicely together, some have grown up together as puppies.
    You get lots of useful information on health grooming feeding etc from other owners, average age of owners in my group are 70 years old, some were a great help with my first JRT K9 has many of them had or did owned JRT's.
  5. katie134

katie134 New Member

Name:
    katie
    6JRT's likes this.
    Thanks for all the advice again , yes that's a really good idea , I need to find a really placid dog for him to play with , to tell him off when his too bouncy but not attack him as some dogs have done so I pick carefully who I let him play with off the lead because he does defend himself a bit more now if dogs get to much . We get some people who are very weary of blue , today I was bringing blue on his morning walk and a dog walking with his owner was ahead of blue on the lead , the owner spotted blue and picked up his dog and walked past me and as soon as he got past me he let his dog back down . We get this a lot more now then when he really little . Some people are silly Ived had people call him vicious looking and everything , his only 5 months old it makes me so angry because his a beautiful dog who loves people , his so friendly he just wants a good cuddle lol ☺.