Micro chihuahua ?? General Chat

Discussion in 'Chihuahua' started by Murf, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    If the poster meant 1.15 kg and not lbs, that would make the dog 2.54 lbs.

According to Chihuahua Information on Breedia

the weight for a Chihuaha is:

Dogs: 1 - 2.7 kg (2.2 - 5.9 lbs)
    Bitches: Lighter than dogs
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    It's very possible the Chihuahua spoken of is 1 1/2lb as Betty is 2lb, but she is well under half the size of all the other Chihuahuas we meet with the exception of one couple who have a smaller one than her but theirs has all sorts of problems, blood sugar issues (they have to carry sugar solution with them to administer if he collapses) collapsed trachea (came on at 3 years old), knees are bad again came on when he was about 3 and a half years old. He has been in two "accidents" where he got under their sofa and got stuck in the springs, if he was correct size much of this could have been avoided.

We spend as much time avoiding stepping on Betty as we did when she was a tiny puppy, love her to bits so it's worth it but I can't deny it takes time and concentration.
  4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Julie - 1.15 lb is not 1½ lb [24 oz] - it is only 18.4 oz and is exceedingly small.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2013
  5. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    But the point is the poster may well have such a small dog we have seen them when looking for puppies earlier in the year, one lady very proudly displayed her two little girls who had both had recent pups that were not much more than 2lb each they had been mated with a small boy of a little more than 1 1/2lb each the resulting puppies were tiny and not going to be much bigger than their Dad we were told, at that point we said no thank you as he was far too small for a robust life with us.

Some breeders are breeding small females with tiny males it is happening. Sad really, I didn't realise quite how sad until I sought advice in the breeding forum.
  6. miz66

miz66 New Member

Name:
    Miranda
    Hi, Chihuahuas do vary in size as do alot of breeds of dogs, Oscar could do with loosing a few pounds but nothing drastic. He's a dog who adores his food which is very good as when he misses a meal we know he may be a bit off, dogs like us have off days he also has grumpy days like a little old man lol. He is going on 5 next month so I know he won't grow anymore, to me he is the perfect size.
  7. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    If that's him in your avatar pic he looks perfect! Bella too needs to lose about half a kg. Vet says she is OK at present weight but I'd like to see her shed a little. Trouble is with little dogs who love treats and food it only takes a small amount of extra feeding or treating for them to put a small amount on but, on them, it results in a visible weight gain! I doubt I'd have noticed a few lbs increase in my old GSD when I had her! Bella doesn't even have any long fur to disguise it!

I'm surprised she isn't a BLIMP by now coz this year I've had FOURTEEN family visitors over since April! And it's all 'one for me one for Bella' and her getting all sorts of stuff I never give her - ice cream and the works! But they all love her and she loves all of them and I just cannot be the old grumpy grinch when I hardly ever see them. So I wait and try to do something about it when they've gone!
  8. miz66

miz66 New Member

Name:
    Miranda
    Yes thats the little trouble in the picture, he's a little rounder at the moment but a few long walks and a bit of playing will sort it out. My dad used to feed him lots of treats but he passed away last week so his treats are going to drop big style.
  9. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    Sorry about your dad.
  10. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Yes same here - sorry to hear about you losing your dad.
  11. miz66

miz66 New Member

Name:
    Miranda
    Thanks guys, I think Oscar is missing him aswell. We haven't mentioned his name or taken Oscar to his house while things are sorted I'm sure he'll soon forget.
  12. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    I'm sure he is missing him.Very early days for you too,I know how hard it is,hardest thing ever...(( hugs))
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Miranda - I am very sorry to read that you have lost your father - condolences to you and all your family. xx
  14. miz66

miz66 New Member

Name:
    Miranda
    Thanks again for your condolences, we'll get there xxx
  15. TracyKNixon

TracyKNixon New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    My chi is 1lb 15oz (31 oz or 878 grams) And I'm an American size 0/UK size 4 - and I even a UK 4 too big!
  16. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    What has your size got to do with the dog ? I am 15 stones with a tiny Chihuahua doesn't impact on what dog you own at all, most odd :confused:
  17. TracyKNixon

TracyKNixon New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    It doesn't - I was merely stating earlier that us human's come in all different shapes and sizes too - so not every tiny adult chi is unhealthy or a runt. I stated that I was very slim myself and indeed very healthy - just like my tiny fit and healthy chi pup. I don't agree with posters who state that tiny chi's are unhealthy or runts - my pup's parents were tiny . My chi is also a pedigree with champs in her line. She is very fit and healthy.

So an owner's weight does not have any impact on their choice of dog - I agree with you
    Julie
  18. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    The confusion arose because you said your dog weighed 1.15lb [18.4 oz] - not 1lb 15oz.

And as your Profile says you live in the UK but you gave an American dress size, that was also confusing. Incidentally, US size zero [UK size 4] models are not permitted on catwalks any more as they look anorexic and give the wrong idea to young girls, so you must be really healthy if that size is too big for you. ;-)
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2013
  19. TracyKNixon

TracyKNixon New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    Sorry - miss-typed!
  20. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I'm impressed you can be so accurate, down to the last ounce! My dogs are a real pain to weigh - won't keep still.

Wouldn't the weight change depending on whether she'd had a meal or been to the toilet? (sorry to lower the tone).
  21. Julie

Julie New Member

Name:
    Julie
    Yes makes a difference also Betty like her much bigger sister Mollie loses and gains as she exercises more or less and when she went into season lost several ounces she is still not eating well so will get thinner before we get her back to normal eating.