Might need to take Pepe to the vet this evening Health

Discussion in 'Poodle (Standard)' started by Janet, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet

Might need to take Pepe to the vet this evening

Pepe and Bogie have just come back from the groomer's - Charlotte the groomer was very upset because Pepe had suddenly reared up and she cut his quick and also somehow caught his toe with the clippers. She applied powder which didn't work, and an icy compress which didn't work - it just kept bleeding (not gushing out, just dripping.)

So, I rang the vet for an appointment, and the nurse suggested I try an icy compress again, and get back to them if it doesn't stop.

It's not bothering him at all - I've had to separate him from the others to try and make him rest because he's just wanting to play all the time. He's finally settled down (no he hasn't - just as I typed that he's trotted up to me) - I had got him on his bed on top of a clean white vetbed, so I can see how much blood there is. Off to try and settle him again!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Janet likes this.
    Big cuddles for Pepe from 'er 'an me xxxxx
  4. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Janet likes this.
    Poor little Pepe hope all goes well at vetsx
  5. pugluva

pugluva Member

Name:
    carol
    Janet likes this.
    Hope little Pepe is alright give him a big hug from me and the pugs.
  6. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    6JRT's and CaroleC like this.
    Little? Little? He's never been so insulted in his life. He's a BIG poodle!

But he thanks you for the hugs anyway. So far, so good. It seems to have stopped bleeding, and I think as long as I can stop him playing with the others for a while we'll be OK.

Unfortunately though he did decide to jump up on the settee, and left bloodstains on it! Two of my husband's posh friends are coming round tomorrow but that's just hard luck - I didn't invite them, they invited themselves, so they will have to put up with the bloodstains!
  7. pugluva

pugluva Member

Name:
    carol
    Oh so sorry please don't tell Pepe we insulted him x
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Janet likes this.
    Glad all's well now -
    Be a good boy Pepe and let it heal nicely.
  9. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    K9 says you be ok Pepe the vets are alway making his claws bleed, normally the dew claw as it's black, he not keen on the smoking stick they put on claw to stop it bleeding x
  10. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Actually he's got no idea how big he is - I'm sure he thinks he's the same size as Chico the Chihuahua and can't understand why he can't sit on my lap the same way Chico does.
  11. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Don't think I've come across the smoking stick.

When I looked online it was suggesting that if you don't have the styptic powder - which I don't - you can use any sort of powder from the kitchen, like flour or cornflour. Wasn't sure about that, so didn't risk it.
  12. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u

Not sure what real name is but when they put the stick on K9's claw it started smoking.
    Caustic_pencil.png
    images.jpg
    pencil.jpg
  13. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Thanks Tina. I have a feeling I've seen farriers do something similar with horses' hooves.
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    De Booga an' I is bof pleased dat Pepe be OK.

My then vet, many years agim who taught me how to dock my pup's tails [yes I know it was bad but that was then and not now] told me what to use - not a styptic pen but a styptic liquid thingy, so they never bled.

The pups never cried either.

Would never do it now though. Feel bad that I did it - properly - when it was permitted.
  15. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    I can remember as a child, dreaming of one day breeding a litter of poodle puppies (never did) reading books which advised cutting off their tails with scissors.

Pepe is the only poodle I've had with a long tail - I never know quite what to do with it when I'm grooming him, I'm so used to a short tail with a pom pom!

Bogie the cocker spaniel - 10 years old today by the way - is docked.