Min Pin and New Puppy Questions

Discussion in 'Miniature Pinscher' started by Laurie Chism, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Laurie Chism

Laurie Chism New Member

Name:
    Laurie Chism

Min Pin and New Puppy

I have had my min pin for the past almost 9 years. She is 9 years old, almost 10. I rescued her. She has always been very serious (doesn't play) but super sweet to me and my family. Well, we are about to have a new baby and my 9-year-old son is feeling a little left out. We decided to get him a puppy that will play with him to occupy his time while we are busy with the baby. We got him an Australian Shepherd that is 12 weeks old and very playful and fun. We've had her for 2 days now. He absolutely loves her and so do we; however, our min pin does not care for her one bit. She snaps at her and growls and pretty much scares the metaphorical pants off of the puppy. How can we get them used to each other? Will it just take time? Or does someone have a tip on doing this properly?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    It is not likely that she will appreciate the attention of a large high energy puppy until she, (the AS), has mellowed a little - and shed her shark teeth. I would make your Min Pin a quiet area where she can stay relaxed but apart, and still have an occasional cuddle. The best chance of their making friends will come when they start going for walks together.
  4. Laurie Chism

Laurie Chism New Member

Name:
    Laurie Chism
    Thank you for your reply. Currently, my min pin stays in her open crate so that she can come and go freely as much as she'd like, and I try to give her some alone time outside also. The problem with the walls thing is- we don't go on walks. We live on acres and acres of land so my min pin runs freely around the property. She's never been on a leash before. I've tried it. She strongly protests. LOL The puppy was born on a farm so she was able to run freely as well. I tried a leash with her. That was a battle I chose not to have again. LOL We're just not leash people. But hopefully, the time outside together will bond them.