Mission: Elkhound General Chat

Discussion in 'Norwegian Elkhound' started by Gypsum, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Gypsum

Gypsum New Member

Name:
    Emily

Mission: Elkhound

Thanks to everyone on this forum who answered my question and directed me to an Elkhound who was being rehomed. The dog, who I've called Cuillin, is lying on the hallway floor in my flat, chilling. His owner brought him up from Portsmouth and I drove down from Edinburgh and we met in a motorway service station outside of Leeds. I was worried how he'd be with strange person in a strange car, but he settled down on the backseat and was a better passenger than some ex-boyfriends. The only "mishap" was me missing a turnoff and accidentally driving into Leeds. Oops.

We stopped off in Durham, as I used to live there so know my way around, and went on a walk along the river and then through the town. He started off pulling like a freight train but a few stops and direction changes convinced him to walk with me. He handled other dogs, squealing chidren, rowing coaches, joggers, and assorted pedestrians no bother. Back to the car and then onwards to Edinburgh. Eventually I found a parking place and he had a quick visit to his new flat. Then it was off to the Meadows for an off-lead meeting with Sammie, his new canine flatmate (and of course Sammie's owner). We had to meet in an enclosed bit of the Meadows, as Sammie doesn't do the recall thing. They met without any excitement, although my big beautiful Elkhound was intimidated by the little fluffy German Spitz. We came back to the flat and let Cuillin in first, as we were concerned Sammie might be territorial. Sammie grumbled a bit but settled. They seem to be getting on fine now.

Successful thus far. We will have to work on the barking a bit, as he is inclined to bark when he hears noises outside and as we live across the street from a school, there is going to be a lot more noise to come! Any advice on this, as I know the breed tends to be barky? Other than that, he seems to be settling in very well.

I'll get pics up tomorrow or Monday. :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Well done to both of you I hope you are both very happy one with the other.

Not surprised your big bold Elkhound treated the smaller spitz with care they, the Elkhound, are very much pacifists and do not look for trouble although if pushed they are well able to defend themselves and their property, their coats serving as better protection than most, but they are bred to avoid trouble and that they are good at doing.

Barking could be a problem but they are not daft and he will soon accept the school as part of what happens at his new home it all being new to him at the moment.

If both the dog are male I don't think you will have any problem with them getting on and Elkhound are very careful when playing with a smaller dogs or puppies, just watch times like when feeding or they have treats as Elkhounds will defend their stomachs above all else.
  4. Vicki6344

Vicki6344

Name:
    Vicki
    Sounds like it all went really well - look forward to seeing some photos of this cracking boy :D
    [​IMG]
  5. Archer

Archer New Member

Thats fantastic....glad to hear he seems to be making himself at home.
    The barking may just be because the noises are new to him ...I would just tell him quiet in a firm but calm voice ,call him to me ,ask him to sit and reward.
    Keep us updated
    Nikki
  6. lovezois

lovezois Fondly remembered

Name:
    Eunice
    So pleased that all went well.
    Do keep us updated and some pictures would be nice.
  7. Gypsum

Gypsum New Member

Name:
    Emily
    He is most definitely a pacifist. And smart as anything. He already has learned his new name after less than 24 hours (it helped that "you, come here" worked pretty well so "Cuillin, come here" was no bother at all). His owner never made him heel on the lead but I want him to -- I guess it comes from leading horses around -- and he is making tremendous strides in that direction already.
  8. angelmist

angelmist New Member

Name:
    Kate
    Sounds like hes a great dog and like your doin a great job. Glad its working out. Piccys!
  9. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Elkhounds have been bred not to attack or kill so are natural pacifists, they have also been bred to think for themselves so you may have a problem with the heel. He should walk on a loose lead with no problem but may not see the point of walking to heel. Can be done but you may have to be very determined.
  10. Archer

Archer New Member

Hows it going?
  11. Archer

Archer New Member

It would seem as ifthings haven't worked out for Gypsum folks!
    Cuillin is now in a rescue centre much to his breeders distress.
  12. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    WHY didn't Gypsum send him back to his breeder!!! thats not right!!!!
  13. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Hopefully there is more to this story than has been told. I would reserve judgement til all the facts are known :)
  14. Brundog

Brundog New Member

Name:
    Dani
    hiya
    thats awful !!
    Can i help at all with the rescue centre ? I am in edinburgh...
    which rescue centre is it ?
  15. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    Me too as offered on the other thread..(I know people in one of the centres in Edinburgh too due to dealings with other dogs)

What more can there be to the story!!! Nothing said to Nikki on here nothing said to the breeder..one or the other SHOULD have been the first port of call before shipping him off to a rescue!!!!!
  16. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    anything I can do to help, just ask, poor wee man, I think I may have had a call from gypsum looking for help??? but someone deleted the message, I cant be sure though,.
  17. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    As far as im aware the OP didnt get the dog from the breeder OR Archer and whilst i would have hoped they would have offered it back to the breeder there may well have been a reason they didnt. As far as i can tell, the breeder did not want the dog back from the previous owner (as presumably he would be there now instead of being sent to live with the OP) so maybe it was thought that the breeder would not want it now :)

As i said... There may be more to the story. I tend to avoid assuming i know everything about everything written on an internet forum, and Archer hasn't gone into too much detail (quite rightly, as some things should be kept private!!) so i dont like to judge people when i dont know the situation in full.
  18. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    I see what your saying but a phone call or pm to let them know the situation wouldnt have gone wrong?
  19. Louise13

Louise13 New Member

Name:
    Louise
    So rather than asking for HELP when needed to the people who HELPED her get the dog in the first place (which incidently would have been the first people I would have asked!!!!)
    The best thing to do is to put it in a rescue!! Don't think so..

These people on here were kind enough to help the OP get the dog in the first place so a little common sense would tell you that they would help if there was an issue..
  20. Shona

Shona

Name:
    shona
    if the dog is in scotland, Edinburgh area, and the breeder sorts it out with the rescue, {assuming the rescue has no illness running through it at the moment}
    I would be happy to have him here temp untill the breeder can sort something out for him
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
  21. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Louise, see the above quote. Maybe the OP did ask for help?? See, its not necessarily the whole story :roll: