Mollett Victorian Bulldog - what crate size? Questions

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Dave1, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David

Mollett Victorian Bulldog - what crate size?

Hello soon my new little arrival will be home the beginning of November. He is a Mollett Victorian Bulldog. He will be called Winston.

I'm starting to get the house ready for his arrival. I have some questions to Victorian Bulldog owners.

What size crate do i need to put a fully grown Victorian bulldog in? If you could tell me the width, lenght, and height. That would be great thanks.

I want to get the right size for a fully grown male Victorian Bulldog now. So i make one intelligent purchase. Not multiple purchases, when he is growning.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    how exciting :)

bit odd u are buying a 'breed' and u dont know what size it will be roughly...have u not met its parents? or other dogs before you made your choice? :?
  4. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David
    Hi yes it is very exciting. I'm going to meet his parents this Saturday. So far i have seen pictures of the litter. Spotted Winston from that orignal photo. The breeder sent me some more photo's of the specific dog. I asked for them to hold him back for me.

I was asking to get an idea now. What crate size i need. Yes i have seen the British Bulldog. Seen and had experience of a Boxer dog also. British bulldogs can be quite alot smaller however. I asked to get a rough idea. Guess you could say im getting excited and planning now lol.
  5. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

Good luck with your new pup.Just out of interest who is the breeder and from what part of the country....Cheers..Ian.
  6. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David
    From my understanding of dog generations. A dogs generation is 2 years long. The Mollett Victorian Bulldog has been breed since 1985. So 12.5 generations. Been doing alot of research these past couple of weeks. They are reported to be healthier than a Brit bulldog..No known serious issues yet.

But of course i will ask the breeders all about there health.
  7. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David
    It is a breeder from Somerset Taunton. They are VBF registered.
  8. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    That was the reason I got a Presa - they were meant to be fitter and healthier...

I love bull breeds, but now view any 'new' breed cautiously - because they 'have' to inbreed so much to try and get true to type... it's a bit of a minefield imo.
  9. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    I met a Victorian Bulldog for the first time a while ago - it looked similar in size to an English Bulldog but less chunky..

I would get a similar size crate to one of those that you would get for a bulldog..

However, if I were you, I would see the parents first for a few reasons:

1) So you know how big the parents are and thus how big the puppy is likely to grow
    2) You should visit parents before getting a puppy to check their health and temperament
    3) I would want to meet a breeder and see the conditions of dogs, breeders etc before commiting myself to a puppy from them

:) All the best with your new dog.
  10. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    youve lost me there :?

also,i would imagine ed is something to be wary of..do they elbow score them?

oh,and i meant on my earlier post had u not met any other bulldogs of this type...not dogs in general :lol:
  11. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David
    Yeah like the old saying," you pay your money, you take your chances"

Presa looks really nice Azz. Never heard of them. Until you mentioned them.
  12. rough

rough New Member

Name:
    sal
  13. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David
    1, Thats why im going this Saturday. As mentioned earlier.
    2, Again another reason why im going Saturday.
    3, Again why im going this Saturady.

Really i wouldn't buy a dog if i did not know all the problems that could arrise. Let aloan get a puppy unless my head was screwed on which it is. From my time buying live stock on the farm. Where you go over all the details with a fine tooth comb. Or like any of my previou pets.
  14. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David
    Lol no i haven't yet. But will this Saturday.

Ah ment to say tupacs. How did i loose you? Will try and explain. If you let me know where i lost you.
  15. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Sorry I missed that :blush:
    In that case wait until Saturday to buy the crate :grin:

When you see the parents, decide what similar breeds they look the size of.. Almost all crates have dog breeds that they suggest go in them - ie my buhund grows to about the size of a cocker spaniel - so I got a small/medium dog crate.
    I would have thought a medium crate should be about right.. (this is based on the size of the PAH ones!)
  16. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I love Mollet bulldogs ..
    Boatswain a Mollet bulldog is in the Natural History Museum at Tring ...
  17. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

Hi Dave, you are probably already aware that the VBF has only been going since 2003 but prior to that was the VBS so I would ask to see the registration certificates to prove lineage.As far as i'm aware now all the the VBF stud dogs and breeding bitches have to be DNA tested for USD aswell so ask about that.
    You will find out a lot more on the VBF website and they also have a forum which can offer you advice on the breed....Cheers..Ian.
  18. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

19. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David
    Hi thanks for all the hints and tips Ian. I will be sure to ask all those questions.

Those crates are alot cheaper than what i have been looking at. Thanks agains.
  20. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

No problem mate and I can vouch for those crates 100%.They are excellent quality and value for money.
  21. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David
    Hello everyone yesterday i went and seen the pup and mum and rest of the litter. Hes such a cute little puppy. Active. He stayed on my lap for a long time. Sucked my finger, tried nibbling it lol. My jacket was un zipped. He tried snuggling into it. He had an explore under there as well. On the floor his moment for a pup which is 4 weeks and 4 days old was very good. He also made the cutest sounds.

He is already being trained by the breeder on the toilet front. To go in a litter tray. Before he has his final vaccination with me.

The dam Roxy is a great dog. She lovely. Excitable loves people. Got very excited with me.

Winston comes with a 5 generation pedigree certificate. The certificate is signed by Ken Mollett. Will have a vet check. Come with his first vaccination. He will come with all his vets checks records from the vets. He will also come with a puppy pack. Which includes a bag of food they have been feeding him.

The breeders were just having the one litter to help prolong the breed. As it is a rare breed. The breeders were really lovely people. The property was really tidy. All 11 puppies active and healthy. I saw them feed. The dam has had no major health problems. Only been to the vets with two very miner problems. All the puppies were self whelped.

All in all very good. 100% happy with my new pup. I have absolutely nothing to worry about.