Mollett Victorian Bulldog - what crate size? Questions

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Dave1, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    Did you see the evidence of the DNA testing ???

Just saying the dogs are healthy is not enough.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

"The certificate is signed by Ken Mollett."

Hi Dave, not sure what you mean by the certificate being signed by Ken Mollett as he passed away in 2002.
  4. border pop

border pop New Member

Name:
    BORDERPOP
    :shock:

Good look with your new puppy. I'm sure you will have alot of fun with him. With regards to the size of crate, once fully grown he should be able to stand full height with plenty of room to lift his head fully. Their should be sufficient room for him to lie flat out and turn easily. As to exact dimentions, not a clue:lol: I've seen what people have called Victorian bulldogs the size of english bull dogs and one the size of a wardrobe:p
  5. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David
    Sorry ment to say signed by Tony Mollett. Tony is currently in America though. Have to wait until he comes back. He's taken a dog with him. The first time a mollett bully has been to the states.

Yes because not all Victorian Bulldogs actually are Victorian Bulldogs. Theres alot of imposters. Alot of people will cross the British bulldog with another breed. And simply call it a Victorian Bulldog or Old time bulldog. Thats why you have seen fake victorian bulldogs no bigger then british bulldogs..These other breeders have only done this since Ken's passing..

You only have to look at bulldog adds to see that. Theres is a proper standard for Victorian bulldogs. If they do not meet those standards then it is not a Victorian bulldog. The only way of being sure your really getting a Victorian Bulldog is to get a Mollett Victorian Bulldog. From the Mollett family or asscoated breeder approved by the Molletts. Which Tony will visit in person.

The sire is Bronson by the way. From the Mollett family. He's turning out to be a good stud dog. The Dam is Roxy.
  6. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

The late Ken Mollett is Tony's uncle.Tony's dad is Derek Mollett.
    With regards alternative bulldogs in the States you will find there are already many breeders with their own existing lines out there already.David Leavitt in the 70's started a line using English Bulldog,American Pit Bull Terrier and Bullmastiff but did not quite achieve what he was after.He then used 2 American Bulldog females from J D Johnson called Kings Lady Grace and Sugar Doll and bred these with a AKC English Bulldog called Westcamps High Hopes and a English Bulldog-Pitbull-Bullmastiff Hybrid.Johnson receieved 2 of these hybrids called Sugar Doll 3 and Bullmeads Queen which he then used in his American Bulldog line.
    You also have Greg Hermes who has had his line since the 80's of which his lines have been used in many others lines aswell including Chad Joliceur's dogs.There are some nice dogs out there.
    If i'm honest you will find every breeder out there saying they have a fitter healthier Bulldog so it is a minefield making a decision if you don't know the pedigree's inside out and the dogs used. I choose to own a American Bulldog and also Dorset Olde Tyme bulldogs but without going into the politics etc behind each breeding and the bullsh*t factor blag you will no doubt learn soon that everyone will confess to having the fitter healthier bulldog.
    The main thing is if you are happy with your choice then that is all that matters....All the best..Ian.
  7. Alphatest

Alphatest Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    Good post Ian.

I'd agree it's a minefield - and I would take what any breeder says with a pinch of salt. Do your own research and look into genetics.
  8. snakeman

snakeman New Member

Name:
    Stuart
  9. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Still makes me laugh how many people are sucked in by the amount of ****e so called alternative bulldog breeders spout whilest trying to sell a pup!!
  10. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David
    Hi people, thought i'd come back and let you know how me and Winston are getting on. Winston is a descendant of Boatswain in the Natural History Museum. I can see right back to Boatswain on his pedigree certificate, generation by generation. Winston also has a M.V.B.S signed by Tony Mollett. I am starting now to get active in the V.B.F.

Winston is now 1 year and 5 months old. He is quite active. I have taken him on the odd walk for upto 7 miles. Which he loves. Winston gets taken for quick walks around the block on a daily basis, if Winston has not been on a long walk or nature walk. Nature walks, which there are loads of around where i live. Are upto 3-4 miles, he loves the nature walks. I try to do this on a regular basis. The weather never puts us off. He loves the beach. Love's other dogs. Loves human affection. He is very well behaved around the house. Didn't take hardly much training at all in this sense. He takes to all training pretty well. He did well in the puppy classes and later on the obedience training. He won best in class at obedience course. As we had started training at home very early on.

One problem i am having though. Is off lead training. Because he is excitable dog. He runs off to other dogs. And listerning to me goes out the window. I have been told by a friend that has owned dogs a lot longer than me. To wait until he is 2+ years old. He should carm down and be managable off the lead then. What are your thoughts on this? What is the best approach?

A few photo's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    We went through that , a tug toy cured it :O...
    If he is like most bully breeds he will love tug and be more interested in the toy in your hand than distractions...

Good luck ,it worked for me ....
  12. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David
    Thanks for the suggestion Murf. He does love tug of war. But I never thought to try it as a distraction from other dogs whilst out walking. Shall give it ago.
  13. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    A tennis ball rope toy worked , the ball lasts minutes the rope doesn't.....
  14. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David
    I have a large chunky rope toy with three big knots tied into it. Which we play tug of war with. He loves it. It's lasting very well. We've had it for about a year. It was gifted us from friends.
  15. JulieSS

JulieSS New Member

Name:
    JulieSS
    We use a long lead when he gets to be "off lead" now. Easier to be pro active (for example if the path makes a sharp turn you just grab end of the end of the lead and make sure he can't run off IF he sees something interesting).
    Take treats or whatever toy he likes as Murf said. Recall him when nothing is going on and reward LOTS and be HAPPY :D .
    It is very self rewarding for them if they manage to run off and over to another dog, so if you can stop that with using a long lead it's great.
  16. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David
    Thanks Julie, yes i've tried using treats and praise. That works well when there are no dogs around. He is fine off the lead most of the time in nature. He doesn't run off when no people or dogs are around. When no animals or people are around he never goes far(with in 10-15 meters). Stays in sight. Generally does what he's told. The problem is when other dogs are around. But there is a slight problem with both. But dogs is the worst. With people he will listen to commands given by me 50/50. But when dogs are around forget it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2013
  17. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Loved the pictures - smashing looking dog!
  18. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David
    Thanks Jantet :)
  19. Jenny

Jenny New Member

Name:
    jenny
    I just wanted to say that Winston is a very handsome looking dog:007:
  20. Dave1

Dave1 New Member

Name:
    David
    Thanks Jenny :)
  21. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    And the same from me. Lovely dog and nice to read how you are getting on with him. I moved from Devon to Cyprus - brought back memories of my daily walks on the dog friendly beaches there with my old dog.