Munsterlanders - Why are they not as common as springers or cocker spaniels? Questions

Discussion in 'Large Munsterlander' started by Baileys Blind, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne

Munsterlanders - Why are they not as common as springers or cocker spaniels?

Been looking at this breed since before Lily came long, I'm trying to figure out why they don't seem as common as Springers and Cockers?

On paper they seem to have good reviews for gundog work, look pretty similar but the large Munster would be bigger than an average Cocker or Springer but only by a couple of inches.

Why does one type of dog win over another?? Or become more popular?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Well I have met LOADS of Large Munsterlanders and I can tell you they are MUCH larger than an average cocker or springer!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

They are a member of the HPR group, not a member of the spaniel sub group and have a totally different outlook and way of working than spaniels.
  4. madisondobie

madisondobie New Member

Name:
    madisondobie
    I used to walk a large munsterlander and she was the same size as a setter, lovely dog always on the look out for birds,very fast and very soft- she was a very sweet but vocal dog. :) think they are classed as large dogs 23-25".
  5. sarah1983

sarah1983 New Member

Name:
    sarah
    According to the breed standard the large should be around 24-26 inches at the shoulder so much bigger than your average cocker. The small is apparently 19-21 inches at the shoulder but as Smokeybear says, still a HPR rather than a spaniel.
  6. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Oh yes, LM's are a pretty large dog!

Like SB said, they are a HPR and so wont be as common as cockers or springers because HPR's are in the minority in general and are not favoured greatly amongst many shooting folk.

As for their popularity amongst gundog folk, LM's still arent that common in comparison to GSP's, Vizslak etc. Not sure why, could be down to biddability, size etc but they are a breed I hanker after in future. From what i've seen of LM's in tests and training situations, they are a bit more headstrong and wilful than other breeds in the group.
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Also remember just because a breed standard says one thing, in real life many breeds are much larger! I have seen some HUGE munsties in my time. :)
  8. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    I really like Large Munsterlanders, might be a breed for the future for me. Had a good chat and cuddle at Crufts but the longer coat put me off slightly after the very easy coat care of the Dals :lol:
  9. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    I saw one working an obed.round at the weekend and it really was quite big
  10. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    It's surprising how big their faces are actually. I know that sounds a daft thing to say but in the flesh, everything about them is pretty sizeable. I was at a working test with 3 LM's at the weekend. I particularly liked a white and black patched one, didnt have any ticking or roaning on it at all.
  11. Munsti-Sue

Munsti-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
    I own 2 small munsterlanders, both girls. The older one is big at over 22" and the younger one (still only a pup) will probably be around 19".

I find it odd why LM are so more numerous in the UK compared to other countries where the SM is a lot more popular.
  12. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    I have loved LMs since they arrived in the UK, they, to me, are the BC of the gundog world.

A friend of mine won the first CC in the Breed at Crufts with her dog & another friend has 2(mother/daughter)they are very clever & need lots of things to do & need to be challenged - defo not a couch potato.

They have some health problems & do need hips/elbows/eyes & DNA testing
  13. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Sorry typo in my first post :blush: I meant the small munsters are not much bigger :blush: :blush:

I prefer the small ones over the big but couldn't find any uk breeders when I was looking definitely a breed for the future for me I think :lol:
  14. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    That is because the smallies are small in number and none were registered with the KC in 2010, cannot be fagged to get up to look at my latest breed supplement to see if any were registered in 2011 or to date in 2012.
  15. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    There wasn't any on the KC website, no pups or breeders listed a google search turned up none, I even looked at the yahoo group for munsterlanders and there wasn't any on there either :cry:

I could find the large just not the small :009:
  16. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Just checked, none registered for 2011 or 2012 so far either.
  17. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Ah Well - One day :lol: Probably best I can't find a breeder OH would have a fit at another puppy in the house :blush:
  18. Munsti-Sue

Munsti-Sue New Member

Name:
    Sue
    There are only 17 SM registered with the KC, last registration in 2005. None of these have been bred on from as far as im aware.
    There are non-KC reg SM being bred and also SM crosses being created.

My pup is only 21weeks and was imported from the continent. Temperament was my biggest issue as some SM can be quite firery.

Baileys Blind, We will be at the CLA fair at Belviour Castlie in July for the 3 days with both SM (and the BMH) if you wanted to meet the breed.
  19. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    Oooh yeah would love too - Thanks. I'm hopefully going on 21st :lol: