Muzzle deflate Health

Discussion in 'Shar Pei' started by CooperTheDog, May 11, 2017.

1. CooperTheDog

CooperTheDog New Member

Name:
    James

Muzzle deflate

Hello everyone,

Recently my Shar Pei, Cooper, had a fever. And then a couple of weeks later I noticed that his muzzle is deflated. I've been reading up on the causes of muzzle deflate etc, and I'm taking him to the vet today, but I thought I'd pop in here to ask a couple of questions.

Firstly, does anyone have experience with muzzle deflate with their Pei? Did their muzzle return to normal?

Secondly, I read that giving him supplements to promote hyaluronan production would help him regain his muzzle. Does anyone have any insight or thoughts on that?

Thanks so much!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Hello James,
    Welcome to the forum from Barbara, Georgina, Shar-Pei and Gwylim, Mini Schnauzer,

To answer your question. It's quite normal for a Pei's muzzle to deflate when they've been ill. Georgina has never had a fever, but her chubby chops definitely shrank when she had entropion surgery. The good news is that Cooper's muzzle will return to normal once he's feeling better.

To promote Hyaluronan production, there's a product called HyVitality which has been formulated specially for Shar-Pei, by Dr Linda Tintle who's acknowledged to be the world's leading expert on the breed. Unfortunately, it's only available in the US.
    I give Georgina a supplement called FS-50 which contains essential vitamins and minerals and make sure she has a good grain free diet and apart from having entropion when she was younger, she's a very healthy girl.

Hope that helps.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Fascinating Barbara. Something else that I didn't know!
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    CaroleC likes this.
    Same here! Barbara's reply saved me a lot of googling!
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pork1epe1 likes this.