My 11 month golden retriever Alfie will not give anything back. Behaviour

Discussion in 'Golden Retriever' started by Campa.Verdi, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Campa.Verdi

Campa.Verdi New Member

Name:
    LORRAINE

My 11 month golden retriever Alfie will not give anything back.

Help
    my lovely retriever will not give things back to me. He can stand still for 15 minutes with something in his mouth and wont give.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. pinkgunner

pinkgunner New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    berry likes this.
    Hi there!

Yeah they like to just hold things dont they! Show him a treat while saying give/release/drop or whatever command you wanna use, I use "Ta!" When he lets go of whatever it is you want from him, give him the treat, keep practising it and he should get it in no time, as they are soo clever (and greedy ;-) ) Gradually, do it sometimes without treats, and he will still give you it. My Ruby always does it now without treats.

Although remember to give him a treat occasionally for doing it, just so he knows you appreciate him! :mrgreen:

Good luck xx

P.S - when he releases it and you give him the treat, remember to praise him!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2010
  4. Campa.Verdi

Campa.Verdi New Member

Name:
    LORRAINE
    Thank you for the advice I will keep trying with him although its getting embarrassing as when I walk him he also has a habit of grabbing peoples clothing and not letting go especially when people stop to talk to him and being so being so dam cute people find it funny even when i try to explain im training him
  5. E Jones

E Jones New Member

Name:
    MoJo
    berry likes this.
    Have you considered letting your golden bring his favorite toy along for the walk? It’s the one time he could keep something in his mouth with your blessing, :) and would occupy him in deterring his grabbing other stuff.
    We teach our dogs to “leave it” early on. If you pup is more stubborn I would work on this and wait him out. Work with him and reward (tons of praise and touch.... treats aren’t always necessary especially as you progress) when he releases. As you do make progress use intermittent reward-which is more prone to produce desired results. Super smart breed-he will get it, and they really do want to please!