My boy is failing and I'm beside myself Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jcarpentier, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hello. Copper has been having good nights as of late. He does drag his feet sometimes and is still having a hard time standing. He has not had as bad of an episode as Tuesday night since then. I am thinking I have made peace with whatever news the vet has to offer. Copper has been a good dog for a long time and he has lived a good life. I am hoping the news will be that he has something that is at least treatable and we will be able to make him comfortable for his last days. Thank you all for your caring support.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Just love him, give him what he wants, and just keep him comfortable.

And never forget that we are always here for you.

Much love and hugs - and prayers.

Juli xxx
  4. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Hey all. Tonight Copper has been struggling to stand up on all fours (hind legs giving way) and eat. I'm not sure what to think and am hoping it is not something like degenerative myelopathy. His vet appointment on Monday can't come soon enough. At this point, I am not sure what an emergency vet could do but if he gets worse (similar to Tuesday night) he will be going in for an evaluation before Monday.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Look at him Jessica and see what he tells you. Because even if he hides pain, and dogs are very good at that, his eyes will tell you. xxx
  6. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Oh Jessica, it’s heartbreaking listening to what you are all having to deal with
    We are thinking of you
    Philippa xx
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    So sad that you have to wait so long to see your vet, but only another day now.
    I hope the news is better than what you are dreading, and that Copper can get some relief from his pain.
  8. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    On the eve of Copper having to go to the vet I find myself not as calm as I thought. I find myself wondering what the diagnosis will mean for him and my husband and I. I wonder if we have made the right decisions in his life for his life. I guess all I can do is wait.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    We are only human, and we can only do our best. I really hope the vet can help Copper, but try not to worry too much until you have the facts. Sending best wishes for tomorrow, I'm sure we are all hoping that there is a suitable treatment for Copper, and we will hear better news. (Hugs).
  10. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    The very best of luck for today. Positive thoughts are with you xx
  11. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    My worst fears have been realized. He has been diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy. We will do our best to keep him comfortable and live out the rest of his days with dignity. The vet said winter is the hardest. She also said he could approach euthanasia as soon as 3-4 months from now...

Anyway, thought I would let you all know. Thank you for your positivity and encouragement.
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I am so sorry Jessica.
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Thinking of you and Copper, Jessica - stay with us, keep your boy comfortable, not letting him suffer, and just love him and enjoy him while you can.

I hope that I am now talking for all Breedia members when I say that we will always be here for you. Sending love and prayers. And massive cyber hugs.

Juli and Tikva xx
  14. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    So sorry you are going through this, I lost my beautiful Kyra to DM, and it took about 2 years to progress to where I had to let her go.
    They say there is no pain associated with DM and it’s advisable to keep them walking or the leg muscles will waste away quickly if not kept moving.
    Kyra would let me know when she had enough walking and I found taking her out for frequent short walks was far better for her, she also had to wear boots to stop her toes getting really sore.
  15. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    So sorry it wasn't the news we were hoping for.
  16. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thank you all. @GsdSlave, yes I forgot to mention the vet said to keep him walking. Thanks again!
  17. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Oh Jessica, I’m not sure you’ll get chance to read this, but, it’s so sad to hear what you ate going through
    I know it doesn’t help anything, but, I’m thinking of you all xx
  18. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Have you heard any more Juli ?
  19. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Hey there everyone. Update on Copper. He is seeming to have a hard time getting up but is still able to walk around after a fashion. I fear he won't be with us much longer. This disease is consuming my boy quickly. Thanks for the support and encouragement.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    You know that if it helps you to talk, we are here listening. And I reckon that I say that on behalf of all Breedia members.

Please look after yourself Jessica and keep strong for Copper. Look into his eyes and tell him how much he is loved.

So many vibes and hugs being send to you and Copper from Tikva and me.

And much love xx
  21. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Hello everyone. Copper seems to be doing okay. Its hard to tell if he is worsening. I do know he is not getting any better... Its hard because I think part of me was hoping he would improve. The finality of this disease has not hit me yet and when it does it will not be a good moment. All I can do is love him. I am wondering if he knows something is happening and will he know when the end is near? I never thought I could love a pet so much but here I am fighting tears as I write this.