My boy is failing and I'm beside myself Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Jcarpentier, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Cry, Jessica cry. Let your feelings out but do not show them to Copper. Do not show him how distressed you are and do not forget that you have a little girl who might be upset if she sees you crying. Go and hide from both Copper and your daughter and have a good cry.

Love is letting go when it is that is the best thing - just keep showing love to Copper and try to treat him as normal.

And whatever you do, do not forget that we on Breedia and no doubt also on Dogsey, will always be here for you.

[​IMG]
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    So sorry you are going through this Jessica. Copper will know that movement is becoming more difficult for him, but I don't think he will have any concept that this is likely to lead to his death. Dogs live very much in the present, so he will only be aware of how he is feeling each day. He will know that you are worried about him though, and be reassured by knowing that you love him.
    At least, that is the way I understand it. Maybe others have different ideas.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Its such a cruel disease as their brains remain so active.

This article explains the different stages of DM
    http://www.scamperingpaws.com/dm/progression-of-dm.shtml
    The Disease
    http://wholisticpawsvet.com/articles/Degenerative_Myelopathy_German_Shepherd_Dogs.pdf
  5. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Thank you all for your continued support. It is a very cruel disease. My heart is breaking a little more every day.
  6. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    It sounds to me that Copper has had a lovely life with you. Not all dogs get that chance.
    I personally think, and it is only my opinion, you shouldn’t leave it until it becomes too unbearable before you say goodbye, it’s not fare on him and it’s certainly won’t do you any good seeing him suffer even more.
    You don’t want your final memories to be worse than they need.
    It’s such a sad sad time for you, something we all have been through and dreading the time again
    I hope you find peace with yourself whatever you decide
    Philippa xx
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Do you feel that hand on your shoulder Jessica? It is mine.

Do you feel that arm round you Jessica? It is mine.

Do you feel the love surrounding you Jessica? It is from everyone on Breedia and Dogsey.

Keep strong and know that you are not alone in your feelings.

Juli xx
  8. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    We have decided to let him go before he gets really bad off. With my limited understanding of the disease, there are three stages. Copper is somewhere between the first and second stage. When he progresses further into the second stage we will say goodbye. Its a difficult decision but one we will have to make. For now he will be watched carefully and loved as much as possible.
  9. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    For what it's worth, I agree with your decision.

In the meantime, make as many happy memories as you can and love him to bits.

It's such a distressing time for you, but try not to let Copper see it. He won't understand why you are sad.

My thoughts are with you xxx
  10. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Update on Copper: I witnessed him stumbling a few times today but I told myself it's just because the ground was uneven or he misstepped. I feel some days I am able to deal with his diagnosis better than others...no make that some hours I am better at dealing with his diagnosis than others. It seems I go from acceptance right back to anger and denial. He is my boy and I'm going to lose him. I feel as though I have failed him in some way. Maybe there was something we could have done with him while he was growing up...and there is the anger and denial. Thanks for reading.
  11. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I think we have all been there, - feelings of sadness, anger and guilt. Most of all the helplessness as we realise that we are not able to take control of what is happening.
    Dogs have such short lives, their time with us is never enough.