my dog will not stop weeing Questions

Discussion in 'Bichon Frise' started by sunshineman, Dec 20, 2016.

1. sunshineman

sunshineman New Member

Name:
    tim

my dog will not stop weeing

Hi, I have a six month old male bichon, who is a lovely dog but we have a problem. He will not stop cocking his leg up inside the house on furniture. He goes outside for a walk around two times an hour and has a wee outside, but then he will also have a wee inside.

I have bought this product could "Get Off", which was recommended from a pet shop, which is supposed to stop pets from going back to the place where they have soiled. The only problem is, my dog does not care and goes back to wee.

Really do not know what to do to try and stop him. We have pet mats down to try and train him but he will not use them except during the night. Can anyone please give me advice.on how to train him to stop
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    He's marking his territory if he's not neutered, Intact dogs are more likely to mark their territory, however, even neutered dogs will mark if there are other intact pets in the house.
  4. sunshineman

sunshineman New Member

Name:
    tim
    We have a female dog in the house as well
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Has she been spayed?
  6. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Does sound like pup his marking his territory if you have a female dog.

Try using water & vinegar mix to clean area then baking soda to freshen area
  7. sunshineman

sunshineman New Member

Name:
    tim

no he is only six months old
  8. sunshineman

sunshineman New Member

Name:
    tim
    my other dog which is a female dog has been sprayed.
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC and Pork1epe1 like this.
    I have had intact males and female in the house with no marking problems
    Scent marking is instinctive, but then so are lots of other behaviours we modify
    Be firm, give a"Ah, ah" at any sign he's intending to mark then immediately take him into the garden saying the word you use. Be consistent and he'll learn that peeing in the house is not allowed.
    Clean where he has peed with biological washing powder or vinegar and water .
  10. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    First of all I'd get rid of the puppy mats (pads) as they're no doubt confusing him and he doesn't know whether he should pee inside or outside. Then go right back to basics by taking him outside every half hour or so and at least once during the night.

With my puppies I've always put them on a lead and as soon as they're on the grass told them to "do pee pee". Once they've done their "pee pee" I praise them by telling them they're a"clever boy/girl" then take them back in again.

If you're consistent they soon learn!
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Puppy pee pads are useful in certain circumstances, but not as a regular thing. I had no choice with tiddler Tikva because she was so young, which means that she still knows what they are for. But she knows what they are for in emergencies and I prefer that to her peeing anywhere else.

Not for everyone I know, but in our circumstances they are ideal.
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    Bichons do have a reputation for being slow to house train, and I would agree about the need to go right back to basics. I presume that he has got inviting places to lift his leg outdoors - such as a post, or suitably sized flower pot. When he does go in the right place, as Barbara says, give it a name and really show him that you are pleased. I say, 'Good Quicky', in a silly voice, and give a small treat straight away.
    If he is going back to the same places indoors, try to make these places unattractive by either tempoarily blocking his access to them, covering upholstery with plastic, or if it is a smooth surface, rubbing on something he doesn't like, such as Vicks vapour rub. Most of all, stay quietly observant and watch for the little signs that he is about to do it. I have found a couple of cat bells on the collar can give a useful warning.