My Whippet is a couch potato! General Chat

Discussion in 'Whippet' started by Iggielover, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Iggielover

Iggielover New Member

Name:
    Marsha

My Whippet is a couch potato!

Does anyone own a whippet? I have one and he is such a couch potato. The only time he runs is outside to chase our other dogs. He will play ball for a short time. Otherwise, he sleeps.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Mummy2Max

Mummy2Max New Member

Name:
    Hayley
    My OH's brother and his wife have 8 whippets :mrgreen: they are so yummy! All really friendly aswell, you walk through the door and you have to brace yourself! But after 5 minutes they are slumped on the sofa and we are on the floor :lol:
  4. Hels

Hels New Member

Name:
    Helen
    I am owned by several whippets - itsa falicy that they
    require a lot of exercise more like an overgrown couch with servants lol .
  5. Darcy Boy

Darcy Boy New Member

Name:
    Yvonne
    Hi I have a 3yr & 11mth Whippet boys, who can sleep a lot but Oh boy do they make up for it at other times!!! How old is yours & what size is he? Toffee is 17kg, Darcy 13kg ( all muscle).
    :015: :041: :043:
  6. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    I have a whippet cross...she runs around like a looney then sleeps all day!! She's a foxy baby!!:007:
  7. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    I have a pal who works with Whippet Rescue. She has always maintained that, like rehomed Greyhounds, they are the EASIEST of dogs to own!
  8. SneaksyWhippet

SneaksyWhippet New Member

Name:
    Gemma
    I have two whippets and, although they have their quirks, I wouldn't want a different breed now. They have so much personality and character, are so loving, so clean, don't smell or shed much and give the best cuddles. They are not the easiest dogs in the world to train though!
  9. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    My neighbour has two Whippets and I spend ages watching them over the fence :) They are sheer poetry in motion when running together in the field .
    They make me laugh when they are settling down on a blanket in the garden, they delicately fold up their legs and intertwine with each other so they look like one dog with two heads and lots of legs :lol: .
  10. nddogs

nddogs New Member

Name:
    Sophie
    Our whippet Brynn is very cheeky always puts his nose in places he shouldn't, has chewed up his fair share of things, his body design means he sometimes wees on his front legs, is masterful at rolling in poo and can be very excitable! Then he curls up on the sofa looking like butter wouldn't melt! I just wish we could have two!

I think they are lovely but I wouldn't expect ours to sleep all day he loves to have a good run and a game of fetch! Tennis ball crazy!
  11. louise!

louise! New Member

Name:
    Louise
    I am the proud owner of one 9 week old 3/4 whippet x 1/4 beddy terrier and I have to say she is the calmest, most well behaved puppy I've ever raised! She has the odd maddie/zoomie round the house of an evening but the rest of the time is content to snooze. She's also very affectionate so far, and quite bold and clever! I spent a lot of time researching whippets/hounds before I sought out a lurcher puppy that needed a home and fell in love with their personalities/looks before I ever owned one :)
  12. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    There does not appear to be any recommended health tests for whippets.
    Are there any health issues that should be taken into account if you own this breed.

What tests if any would you expect a good breeder to do
  13. Fernsmum

Fernsmum New Member

Name:
    Ali
    Some breeders do heart testing through choice .
    There do seem to be tendencies in some lines for young whippets to develop auto immune diseases :?
  14. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Do the auto immune comditions have any connection or relevance to the blue or fawn colours?

I am asking because I am considering adding a whippet to my family and I am doing my research now
  15. Fernsmum

Fernsmum New Member

Name:
    Ali
    No don't think it's anything to do with colour .
  16. alfiebowen100

alfiebowen100 New Member

Name:
    KJ
    I have never had a Whippit, i would love one!
  17. lilyput

lilyput New Member

Name:
    Enid

If you were buying a ped whippet pup you could check the inbreeding co efficient of the parents here -

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/breed/Default.aspx

One of my whippets has AI - looking at this site, her sire should never have been used at stud!
  18. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    The reason I asked about colour is because in SBT the colour blue is a recessive dilute gene, this is also often the case in fawn as well. If two recessive dilutes are bred together regardless of their COI there will be a higher incidence of AI. I believe the blue in whippets is also down to a dilute gene.
  19. lilyput

lilyput New Member

Name:
    Enid
    I hadn't heard that theory before - GUVS will not commit to saying that genetics plays a part in AI although I firmly believe that it does.
  20. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    With Staffords its not a theory, it is fact so I guess I will steer away from any that look like a dilute colour.
  21. littleghost

littleghost New Member

Name:
    LYD
    Get a Whippet,they are truly wonderful.Mine has a naughty streak a mile wide but he makes us smile and gives us joy so that more than makes up for the misdemeanours.And they just love you to death and would get into your clothes with you if they could because they love to snuggle.