need some help please. Experiences

Discussion in 'Miniature Pinscher' started by nataliexxx, Sep 30, 2016.

1. nataliexxx

nataliexxx New Member

Name:
    natalie

need some help please.

hi,i really need some help here...so basically ive been wanting a miniature pinscher for some time now,and i have done ALOT of research on the breed,but im a little confused with some of the information,right so ive heard that they are hard to train,cannot be let off there lead as they will just take off and then reading somewhere else that they are amazing dogs very obedient,very loyal?

can anyone shed any light on this please? i ask because ive have a huge woodland behind my house kind of a nature trail if you will although all you see is birds a squirrels like haha but still,i have always had dogs with great recall and i am worried if i get a min pin i will not be able to let him/her off the lead

can anyone help clear this up for me please x
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    Hello. My parents have a Min Pin/Maltese mix and she definitely likes to wander. I wouldn't say she is obedient but she is loyal. She is also more of a 1 person dog but tolerates other people. She likes men more than women too. She also tolerates other dogs as well. She has a high prey drive and actually has been known to kill squirrels, mice, and moles. I know she is not purebred but has a lot of traits of the Min Pin. Here is some more info from a source I like to go to.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/miniaturepinscher.htm
  4. Jcarpentier

Jcarpentier Member

Name:
    Jessica
    I also forgot to add the dog loves to bark and has gotten worse as she gets older.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    There used to be a poster on here with a Minpin I think was purebred, who used to walk about without a leash quite safely.

I have a crossbreed Doxie [mom] and Minpin [dad] who is not a wanderer but she is always on a long tether when outside and has a wonderful recall. But she does not like to go out for walks so is never off leash because we do not go out.

She does not like other dogs coming into the yard and is very wary of unknown people, but is luvya luvya luvya when she gets used to them and it totally wonderful with small children. Even little toddlers who whe lets roll her over and tickle her and sometimes can be rather rough with her! She just hates me at times! Oh yes, and she is noisy but it is more a Doxie bark than a Minpin yap.
  6. muddymoodymoo

muddymoodymoo New Member

Name:
    muddymoodymoo
    CaroleC likes this.
    Miniature pinschers are highly intelligent and highly trainable. Mine have enjoyed off lead freedom every day of their lives once a reliable recall was established. They have been trained to ignore livestock and wild life. So no chasing of sheep, horses, deer, rabbits, ducks, squirrels, or similar. Neither will they chase joggers, cyclists, cars etc.

Like with most things in life - what you get out is commensurate with what you put in. So if you're prepared to work hard, your dog should be a lovely and reliable companion. If you don't put the work in, your min pin might turn into an aggressive tyrant.