New guy with a new pup Introductions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by nk14zp, Jan 13, 2017.

1. nk14zp

nk14zp New Member

Name:
    nk14zp

New guy with a new pup

Hi everyone I'm 52 had dogs my whole life but never a pup. Now I have a 9 week old malamute. Had him for a week now. Last malamute i had was in 84. My questions are is it normal for him to have runny poop? and how much and how often should he be fed?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    No he shouldn't have runny poo,and should have four meals per day.
    Did the breeder advise you on what food to give .
  4. nk14zp

nk14zp New Member

Name:
    nk14zp
    The breeder provided some food and said to slowly switch him over to the food we feed the others. How much should he be fed at each meal?
  5. AIIan

AIIan Member

Name:
    Allan
    I found our pup had a fairly sensitive stomach early on took a wee while fi different foods to get her on one which was ok for her. ended up being Burns Puppy food which worked best.
  6. muddymoodymoo

muddymoodymoo New Member

Name:
    muddymoodymoo
    The others? You don't have another puppy? You shouldn't feed adult food to puppies. Why don't you carry on feeding the food the breeder used?
  7. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I start switching from puppy to adult after they’ve had a few days to settle in
    With large breeds like GSDs, it's best to switch to adult food early to slow down growth. The last thing you want is for them to grow too fast and end up with bone and joint problems
  8. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    CaroleC and GsdSlave like this.
    Not so with large breeds. Although Shar-Pei are considered a medium breed, because they grow rapidly and are fully grown at 1 year old it's normal to switch to adult food at around the age of 9 weeks.
  9. Dark Matter

Dark Matter New Member

Name:
    Nic
    CaroleC likes this.

My pup is almost 5 mths old now. Mine had runny poo for the first few days until I switched her over to a raw (BARF) diet. It hardened up almost instantly. I hope that helps as I know how worrying it can be. And for the record, when you get her insured DO NOT mention this or they won't insure her against any gastric issues. I learnt this the hard way. Best of luck with your puppy X :)
  10. muddymoodymoo

muddymoodymoo New Member

Name:
    muddymoodymoo
    I stand corrected. But I wonder why dog food manufacturers make puppy and junior foods if people prefer to put their dogs onto adult food so soon.
  11. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie
    GsdSlave likes this.
    They make it because people buy it its a marketing ploy, there is no real reason why you need to feed puppy or junior food, particular junior , I would go from pup to adult , if I fed puppy at all, as its already been said, many folk will just feed adult food to stop rapid growth.
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I agree, i have never put mine on 'Senior' either.
  13. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    My two have moved on to Wainwrights Senior. (30% off vouchers from PaH probably had a lot to do with it). However, there is slightly lower protein for Merry's piddling kidneys, slightly fewer calories for porky Ed, and usually some glucosamine and chondroitin too. There seems to be little choice of flavour in the senior varieties though, so I end up giving them Fishmonger's Finest for their supper, so the whole exercise is probably self defeating.
  14. Everest_the_akita

Everest_the_akita New Member

Name:
    Shannon
    Hi lovely,
    I have just recently got my puppy she is an akita x husky.

I would recommend purina betta large breed puppy food. It's specially made for dogs their size and has all the right vitamins etc. That they need and this can help with preventing joint problems.
  15. Boerboel

Boerboel New Member

Name:
    Misty
    Congratulations on the new puppy! Alaskan Malamutes are one of my favorite breeds! I just adore them! Diarrhea is one of those frustrating symptoms for owners because it can mean that your puppy has anything from a potentially lethal virus to simple indigestion. He should be eating 4-5 cups of quality dry food per day over 3 meals.
  16. Mish9101

Mish9101 New Member

Name:
    Mish
    Hello
    We had this problem when ours was a pup she has sensitive stomach.

Our vets told us to feed her scrambled eggs to get the poo back to normal.

Also, maybe she's not good with the food you are feeding. Might be worth changing the food to something for dogs with sensitive stomach.

We were told to feed three times a day and if you do feed lilys kitchen like we do you can contact lilly kitchen and tell them the weight of your dog if you want to feed wet or dry food and they will tell you exactly the amount to feed your pup and you can get a measuring cup for the dry.

How much you feed depends on how much your dog needs and the size of your dog and what's right for you.

Contact the company where you get the food they will tell you how much and when to feed. Don't feed more than three times or she will be pooing all day and you don't want accidents

Hope this helps
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017