New member new puppy help with behaviour please. General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Bear123, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Bear123

Bear123 New Member

Name:
    Kyle

New member new puppy help with behaviour please.

Hello everyone. New member and new dog owner looking for some help and advice which im sure is very common on this forum.
    So myself and my better half got a malamute puppy and he's now 13weeks old. He's very healthy but we're suffering with his behaviour and it's taking its toll on my wife so I'm hoping to get some advice or reassurance were doing things right and it's simply normal and if it isn't then look for professional help asap. So basically his biting/nipping is uncontrollable. We've done everything stated from redirection to toys to walking our the rooms etc but it has no effect the ONLY way to stop it is to put him in his playpen but after letting him back out within minutes he's biting. But this isn't our main concern it's his aggression which can be quite scary at 13weeks so obviously the thought of this getting worse as he grows is frightful. After a walk trying to dry him he will growl and then start trying to snap and bite whoever is drying him, and not in a playful manner, same goes for moving (or being around his food) and chew sticks he will actively try and bite whoever tries to move or attain his sticks. We've tried removing and treating with a higher value item etc as we have done our research and putting alot of time and effort it just seems a little hopeless. Is this all simply normal puppy behaviour or is it as we fear,something more sinister. Just spoke to the breeder today who says he sounds like he's being a spoilt brat and we shouldn't be afraid to really express bad behaviour and really shout no and grab his muzzle etc to express his poor behaviour. Tried this a few times but it again seems to have only a fleeting response
    Any help is greatly appreciated, and don't get me wrong he's beautiful and would love this to work out but I think we've probably only had 15minutes worth of nice time in the 5weeks we've had him and it isn't at all what we expected.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Personally, I'd look for a good positive trainer who has worked with the breed before. A good trainer can quickly assess the best technique to use and show you and your Wife how to work through any issues you may have.

One thing that jumps out - please don't take meals away from him. Imagine having your favourite meal in front of you and someone snatching it away half way through, you would not be pleased and neither is your puppy. Play swaps by all means, but do it with food not part of his main meal
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    Forgot to add, ignore your breeder if she is telling you to grab his muzzle. Confrontation leads to confrontation so taking food away and grabbing at his muzzle is highly confrontational - there are much better ways to improve his puppy behaviour
  5. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I don't agree that messing with food and dishes on a daily basis it teaches them to be suspicious.
    By constantly messing with him and his food, you are telling him, "when people come near, they're going to take your food away or prevent you from eating. This actually INCREASES food guarding behaviour.
    From day one I always do some hand feeding with new pups, before putting down their dish, from time to time I walk up and drop a little something into their dish when they are eating, I also have them wait’ before putting down the dish, then give them a quick pat, release them with an OK, or word of your choice.
    AS adults ive never had any problems removing anything from them (If i wanted to.)

Most of my pups would get mouthy when getting used to being dried or groomed trying to grab brush or comb/towel.They get frustrated at having to sit/stand still and be bored.
    Start out with very quick short sessions ,even if it's just a few strokes of the brush/towel stop when he is being relatively good about it, give a release command like "All Done!" lots of praise with a game or treat.

Practise this for short periods through out the day.
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Sorry that should be (I don't agree with messing with food and dishes on a daily basis it teaches them to be suspicious.
  7. Bear123

Bear123 New Member

Name:
    Kyle
    OK thanks both for your replies. I would say it goes beyond being mouthy when being dried etc, it approaches and has been actuall biting hence why we are both a little concerned. However if it doesn't sound to bad then we can continue and keep trying what you've said. Also spoke to local dog trainers today
  8. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou Member

Name:
    Louise
    First of all - ignore what the breeder has said. Why on earth would anyone confront an already mistrustful pup with violence & aggression themselves and therefore only cement your pup's belief you're to be avoided and not trusted.
    No, what you need is relationship boosting, and those kind of things come from mutual trust.

I agree that finding a good reputable behaviourist is probably a wise idea to set you up on the right path. Avoid any trainer/behaviourist that insists on using physical punishment or other harsh methods on your pup. That is not what will make things better!

Are you signed up to any puppy training classes? Great way of building a trusting, fun, relationship between yourselves and at the same time providing you with support from other puppy owners & the trainer themselves.