New Member with fox terrier General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Elana1979, Jul 26, 2017.

1. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    OH dear! Is it possible you may gave a naughty teenager at home who would be amused to text sonething from your phone?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    I like this idea and if, I decide to get another puppy I will do this. As I see it, no harm done and the pup will grow up as, it being normal behaviour from me.
  4. pgitta

pgitta New Member

Name:
    Peter
    Whatever. I can see how you would interpret my taking the time to type out a polite paragraph and even concede you might not have a problem with your dog as a demonstration of how little respect i have for you.

the irony is, my loss of respect didn't happen until your nasty response. But but all means, continue to treat your dog like a "fur-baby" and endow it with full human rights. i'm sure it will work out just fine.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    GsdSlave likes this.
    The number one priority for any animal is food. No food, no survival.

We are very lucky in that most dogs realise that we are the providers of food and rather than competing with them for it, we actually give it.

The last thing we should do with a dog who feels his food is threatened, is to threaten that food, ie take it away from them.

Find the distance where your dog is relaxed while you are present when he's eating

Just after he starts to eat, toss a few tasty treats towards his bowl then walk away - do this for a few days

When he is comfortable with this, toss the treats from half a step nearer to him (only if he is comfortable, if not, you've pushed forward too quickly)

Keep this up until he is happy with you being next to him while he eats.

I've found this is usually the best method.