New to JRTs Behaviour

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Harveyshot, May 18, 2017.

1. Harveyshot

Harveyshot New Member

Name:
    Phil

New to JRTs

We adopted our JRT from a local shelter two weeks ago. They said he was a stray. We thought he was a mix but vet says no. Vet said he is about 6 years old and in good health. He is very energetic and runs around a lot (which we enjoy.) From what I read about them, he should like fetching balls and such. But this guy has no interest in doing so. He ignores the ball completely. No tug-of-war, either. Doesn't chase squirrels!

While the above is not a problem, I'm just curious about it.

We took him to the dog park and he gets aggressive to bigger dogs. We have to keep him on the leash around other dogs.

On the plus side he isn't destructive when left alone. Security cam showed some separation anxiety (constantly walking around the house) for a while but he seems to be adjusting when he is left alone.

Thanks for reading and any comments.

Attached Files:

• fang.jpg
      fang.jpg
      File size:
      57.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Phil and welcome to you and your very handsome newly adopted JRT from little Tikva and from me. :039:
  4. Harveyshot

Harveyshot New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Thank you.
  5. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hello and welcome - he's a great looking little dog. But he doesn't chase squirrels? He should be kicked out of the Jack Russell Union for that!
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Welcome Phil and Fang. I hope you have great times together.
    We have recently heard of another Jack Russell that doesn't get along with tennis balls. Scroll down to, 'dog blinking when thrown something to catch', on the JRT forum. There is a little advice on there. Surprisingly, I live next to a Border Collie that has no interest in tennis balls - and there is a policeman in the family!
    It does take a while for older, and particularly rescue, dogs to show their true colours. Keep trying, perhaps using a small soft ball to begin with. Keep it for your games time - not left around - and let him think that it is a very special item. Play with it yourself, make it sound fun, and see if he starts to show interest.
  7. Harveyshot

Harveyshot New Member

Name:
    Phil
    Thanks, all.