Newfoundland info please General Chat

Discussion in 'Newfoundland' started by x-clo-x, Jun 10, 2012.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe

Newfoundland info please

Does anyone have information on Newfoundlands? They are a breed that really intrigued me. I don't know if I could own one, seeing how much slobber they produced when I saw them at crufts. Dont know if I could cope with that :lol:

I don't really know much about them, except they are or we're used to do retrivals in water.
    I read a book once called "Connie" which is about a Newfie that a woman trains up to be her assistant dog.

Information and pictures welcome :grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. DoKhyi

DoKhyi New Member

Name:
    DoKhyi
    You think the slobber is bad - try keeping them out of puddles, lakes, ponds, streams, mud, their water bowls.... :lol:

The first thing you will need to invest in is an air blaster unless you want to live in a wallow.
  4. WhichPets

WhichPets New Member

Name:
    WhichPets
    Our family were looking in to them when we got our BMD, however I think they are very water keen and it would have meant a permanently wet dog as we had a large pond in the garden.

The ones I've met have all been such gentle giants, they really are huge though :lol:
    They make me chuckle how they all wear bibs at crufts :lol:

For me personally they're a bit inactive, hairy, slobbery and dopey but theres no denying theyre lovely dogs!
  5. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    Thanks for the replies. I don't think I could have one, I can cope with slobber or hair but don't know if I could do both :lol: :lol:

They are water keen, that book I read (which I leant out and can't remember who to!) taught her Newfie and they did proper competitions with water retrieval. The dog was really clever too, whichpets you should give it a read, may change your opinion of them slightly :lol: I found it amazing what she did with her :grin:
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    I think my dogs and I met the only two newfies in the world that did not like water the other year.

They were down at the Cotswold Water Park and could not get their dogs IN!

Whilst my two were doing their Esther Williams and Ian Thorpe impressions, theirs would not put a TOE in! :)
  7. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Bless them! Mind you there aren't many cresteds who like the water but asbo is always straight in whereever he can find it.
  8. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    :grin: :grin:
  9. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    I did seriously think about a Newfie as health wise they are better than the BMD. My concerns were the worry of getting pulled into water every time we went out and the slobber.

I will say like SB though when we went camping last year we did see one and it would not go in the river for a paddle. :lol:

The slobber apparently can set like cement on your walls and ceilings. I am not house proud but even I draw the line at that. :lol: Dillon is bad enough for slobber but I can cope with the amount he drools especially when food is around. :shock:

The Newfie was originally used to pull the fishing boats back into harbour and then when they had done that they were hooked up to the carts and pulled the catch into the villages where they then dealt with the days catch. So you can imagine how strong they are I think if one wanted to go for a swim you migh have hard job convincing it otherwise. :grin:
  10. Losos

Losos New Member

Name:
    Harvey
    Well that makes four Newfies that don't like water :lol: Our two are not keen either, Baruska once fell in our pond when doing zoomies around it with Rianna, you should have seen the look on her face, it was winter and pretty dam cold :roll:
  11. Carla0305

Carla0305 New Member

Name:
    Carla
    I have a Newfie and a Newfie cross. Bungle my full Newfie is an 20 month old dog - weighing in at a massive...

36kg!

He may fill out slightly buy certainly won't get substantially bigger. As with all breeds you get large lines and small lines. And trust me 36kg is more than enough goofy newfie.

Yes they both love water, Puddles, mud pies - fortunately loving water means a blasting with the hose gets the mud out, and the waterproof coat means most small amounts of water run off.

Hairy beasts yes definately. I brush bungle full maybe once every 2 weeks his coat says amazingly clean - used to brush more regularly but found he doesnt really need it. I blow him with a blaster on cool air every once in a while to get some loose undercoat out and he goes to the groomers once every 6 months or so. Only because I want him to really he could go without.
    I trim his feet so they arent so mop like in the wet weather.

Drool again varies some drool alot, other not so much. We don't drool much unless food is around, but once they start licking something it will be soaked.
    I find the odd cement like price of drool with congealed fur once in a while - when I decorated I had egg shell paint everywhere so the dirt just wipes straight off.

They are a medium to heavy exercise dog (joints allowing) bungle can sprint as fast as my weim cross and will plod around/ charge about and swim until you give up.

Water rescue training is great fun for them as great both physically and mentally for them - they are after all a working breed!

Originally used to haul fishermens nets back to shore and later on to aid in the rescue of people in trouble in water.

Napolean was supposedly rescued after his ship sank by a Newfie who had received no training
  12. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    great replies guys :mrgreen:
  13. Karolina

Karolina New Member

Name:
    Karola
    I absolutely love that breed. Always wanted to have one but they need a lot of space and water!
    Maybe one day once I will go through puppy face with my little one I’ll have a summer pool in a garden with a house that can handle this size dog. Also I don’t think there are many wild lakes around where I live in South of England and it would be a shame not let them in water. Saying that we have a see which isn’t the greatest but in the end of the day they come from Canada’s coast. One day! They are beautiful dogs.