Nipping Questions

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog' started by sam mooney, Nov 22, 2017.

1. sam mooney

sam mooney New Member

Name:
    Sammy

Nipping

Hi

I have a 14 month old BMD , you would like some advise please .... anyone who comes into the house he is nipping with his front teeth and just won’t stop . We have tried playing with him , giving him treats , giving him time out but nothing works.

Any advise would be greatly appricated
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    If he is nipping visitors, I would shut him in a room before you open the door to them. Once they are settled, he could join you - on a houseline if necessary. Your visitors could give him a small treat when he is calm.
    If he is nipping your family when they come in, I think it sounds as if he is getting too excited with his greetings. Use a firm 'No' or 'Ouch'. Don't flap your arms towards him though, fold them, and turn and face the nearest wall - no words, no interaction, just ignore him until he calms down.
    He is still not mature at 14 months, this phase will soon pass.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    I think certain dogs will do this affectionately through excitement we used to call it the ‘flea bite’ mine usually nibble when I'm scratching a certain spot.
    Have you tried putting her on the lead when visitors arrive, keep her by your side in the sit/down position and don’t move till she is calm.
    Still on-lead go and sit with visitors if she remains calm praise calmly with titbit.

Or shut her out when visitors due, wait till she calms down before taking her out on-lead then have her sit calmly beside you.
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tik mouths me hands when she comes out of her crate in the morning and leaps onto the bed, but she has only ever mouthed two other people, one being my wonderful vet and the other being my taxi driver. Who of whom she adores. Not nibbles but full on open mouthed mouthing - but she has such a good bite inhibition that she does not hurt.

It is definitely her way of showing love and affection and she is rather vocal when she does it, sounding very happy as if she wants you to know how much she loves you.