Non Alsatian/GSD owners, your opinions appreciated please Discussions

Discussion in 'German Shepherd Dog' started by Patch, Feb 24, 2009.

?

Non Alsatian/GSD owners, your opinions appreciated please

1. Dog A

90 vote(s)
    84.9%
  2. Dog B

16 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch

Non Alsatian/GSD owners, your opinions appreciated please

Out of interest, of people who have never owned an Alsatian/GSD, which of the two dogs below do you feel are nearest to being representative of how you feel they `should` be physically ?

The two examples consist of a pet [ Dog A ] and a Show dog, [ Dog B ], both shown standing at rest and in a show type pose, [ please bear in mind one is a pet and has never been Shown nor done ring craft ], but in terms of physical build appearance alone, [ not coat colour or length :lol: ], which do you feel looks better for the dogs' benefit ?

Comments are welcome but please lets keep it friendly and lets keep it to people who have never owned nor Shown the breed including for other owners, I am hoping to see interesting discussion initially at least from people who have no personal bias for or against any body type through being involved in the breed past of present, perhaps we can open it up later on to people who have been or are currently in the breed :grin:

Dog A

Relaxed

[​IMG]

`Showy`

[​IMG]

Dog B

Relaxed

[​IMG]

`Showy`

[​IMG]

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Name:
    Edna
    I've never owned a GSD myself, but was brought with 2 f them who were owned by my Grandad. He had GSDs for years and years and never owned one that looked like dog B.
  4. Dale's mum

Dale's mum New Member

Name:
    Janice
    Never had any real experience of GSD but there's something about the way dog B is standing that just doesn't look right. Too hunched up or too much slope on the back??????
  5. jesterjenn

jesterjenn New Member

Name:
    Jeni
    I don't know why GSD owners aren't allowed to vote. I've just voted anyway as GSD's aren't the breed I grew up with.

I personally think A looks healthier for what it's worth.

Not trying to cause an argument, so please don't take it that way, but why aren't GSD owners allowed to partake?? Just out of interest.
  6. dori-katie

dori-katie New Member

Name:
    Sarah-Jane Ruthwell
    I have always been told that a GSD and a Alsatian were the same dog just they changed the name in the war as they couldn't say German over here. don't know if this is right:!:

Dog A has a straight back like A GSD should have and dog B looks like the ones that the police breed now with short back legs, as they want dogs that go up on there back legs to look bigger and more scarey in crowds and catching people.
  7. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    I voted for A.

When I took Beau to puppy training, there was a GSD in his class. Now I do not know if she was a good example of the breed (she was slightly dog aggressive so I never got a chance to speak to the owner) but what struck me was how unsteady she appeared at her back end and honestly looked like she would fall over if someone had poked her back legs (not that anyone would). It was even more apparent as her backend was higher and in the leggy phase of growing. Now I have an untrained eye and she may have been a poor example of the breed but she was more like dog B.
  8. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    **i know im not meant to...but dog A**

runs away!
  9. Westie_N

Westie_N New Member

Name:
    Nicola
    I prefer dog A.
  10. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch

Hi :grin:
    The reason I have asked for non owners [ initially at least ], is because on threads where most posters are or were owners things get quite technical, [ and sometimes heated ], regarding construction, movement and what`s considered right or wrong in the breed so I am hoping for completely unbiased views from people not particularly experienced in the breed to give their opinions and vote based on, shall I say, an `uncluttered` view without being swayed either way by discussion from owners, that`s all it is, nothing untoward I assure you :grin:
  11. Patch

Patch New Member

Name:
    Patch
    *Slap* :lol:
  12. rachelsetters

rachelsetters New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    I think the sloping topline in dog b is over exaggerated.
  13. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    I know nothing!!:grin:
    However I remember watching Crufts a number of years ago and seeing a GSD looking like dog b and feeling quite upset.
    It looks most unnatural, almost deformed to me. But thats just me, please don't slap me Patch :lol: So I voted for dog a.
  14. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    well i'd prefer to be slapped than be the slapper!!:shock: :043: :043: :043:
  15. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    No comment :043: :043: :043:
  16. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    i much prefer the shape of dog A, but not keen on his head
  17. SibeVibe

SibeVibe New Member

Name:
    Seoniad
    Dog A for me. Lovely.
  18. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    The Alsatian and GSD ARE the same breed :)

Regarding your second comment, sorry but Dog B is a showline dog and is nothing like the dogs that the police breed! Also, I am not sure where your info has come from regarding short back legs and looking bigger etc :shock: as that is completely false! The police breeding programs breed from working line shepherds, not show.

Patch - I haven't voted at all, as I don't really like either dog :?
  19. Stormey

Stormey New Member

Name:
    Phill
    I voted A, no expert and dont know the arguments for/against both but on looks alone it would be A
  20. honeysmummy

honeysmummy New Member

Name:
    Cass
    I think this could be a good thread as I would love to know more about GSDs and the different lines but to be honest i always get lost as it gets so complicated!!!
    So maybe if the GSD owners could keep it simple for those of us that dont understand that much about them then we could learn something x
  21. Ben Mcfuzzylugs

Ben Mcfuzzylugs

gsd's dont look best in a show stance anyway but as a dog lover with a bacgroundin engineering the angles on dog b are putting lots of excess stress on the hock and hip area

also in video those types of dogsdont seem comfy standing and walking