Norwegian elkhounds as pets? Questions

Discussion in 'Norwegian Elkhound' started by Gypsum, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Gypsum

Gypsum New Member

Name:
    Emily

Norwegian elkhounds as pets?

After doing hours of internet research on various breeds which caught my interest, I've tentatively concluded that the Elkhound seems well suited my needs. I have read lots of websites about them (there are fewer really informative ones than you'd think) and even acquired an Elkhound book off Amazon. But I guess the reason I finally joined this forum was that I wanted to hear the experiences and thoughts of people who actually own them.

I've never had a dog before, but have had horses for most of my life and have started babies under saddle. It doesn't seem that the basic principles of operant conditioning and positive reinforcement are radically different from dogs to horses, although you probably have a whole different body language to learn! In any case I fully intend on going to puppy/obedience classes with it.

The reason I'm into Elkhounds is that I wanted something that can go on long hikes up Scottish mountains, be a good camping dog, but also be able to live in a flat so long as it goes on walks every day. It needs to be able to hang out around the barn for a few hours and ideally it would be able to tag along with the horse on trail, so the off-lead thing is important. Every barn I have ever been at has had barn dogs so I think this can be trained. I am a PhD student so I can work from home if I have to but also my office is dog-friendly for well-behaved dogs.

I like that they are independent and somewhat aloof, as I'm not keen on the bubbly Golden Retriever personality.

It's kind of a long post but hopefully gave some idea of what I am looking for. Any advice would be appreciated!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Teal'c

Teal'c New Member

Name:
    DC
    Hi Gypsum,

Welcome to the lovely world of Dogsey I can't comment on what Elkhounds are like in real life other than they are beautiful and definitly on my wish list. There are a few owners on here and I'm sure they will be along to give you the inside info soon :grin:

What I can say is in my experince having a dog (I own three border collies) while doing a PhD is just brilliant my three princess's have shared all my ups and downs, enjoyed the days in the office and out on field work as much as I have. Good luck with your search and I'm sure you'll find the perfect dog for you :mrgreen:

TTFN
    DC
  4. Archer

Archer New Member

Hi there
    As the owner of 3 elkhounds hopefully I can help a little.
    Yes they can be aloof and independant but I,like you do not particularly like a 'clingy' dog.
    They are great family dogs and excellent guard dogs but do need plenty of training...esp in the recall and 'quiet' dpartments LOL.They are sociable and generally good with people and other dogs and if introduced early to your horse should be fine with that too.They are easy maintenance needing relatively little grooming and are good doers food wise.They do however shed coat heavily once or twice a year.
    With the correct training and buying from the right breeder I think an elkhound may well suit your needs....a fit elkhound is capable of hunting for days so hikes in the mountains will no problem so long as you have done your recall training so it doesn't decide to 'hunt' the local wildlife.
  5. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Can't add to the above really, just remember with the Independence comes idea in the hounds mind that they know best. They do fulfill your needs perfectly and an Elkhound would love the sort of life you offer.

The fact that Nikki had 3 and so do I, until recently I had 4, should tell you they are addictive but I will repeat what Nickki (Archer) has said, buy from a well know and good breeder who will offer you help and advice as and when you need it, because you certainly will. Have you seen http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=16064
  6. Gypsum

Gypsum New Member

Name:
    Emily
    Cheers for the responses. I have a couple more questions.

Would you then recommend buying one as a puppy from a good breeder, rather than rehoming an adult. As I see it the advantages of a puppy is that you can train it yourself, socialize it the way you want from the start. However, I usually recommend that first time horse owners get older horses who know the basics (novice owner/rider + green horse usually equals bad news unless they have a really good trainer), but is it different for dogs? The advantage of an adult is that it might already have some basic training but the disadvantage is that it might already have baggage. It is much easier to train than retrain.

The other question that has come to mind is how does one find a good breeder. I have seen listings of breeders on various websites but obviously it's impossible to know how good they are from that. Would the ones on the Elkhound Club of Great Britain's site be pretty reputable?

I have loads of time to research as I can't do anything serious until the late summer when I can move out of this flat into one that will allow animals.
  7. Hali

Hali New Member

Name:
    Fiona
    Hi there:)
    It's so nice to read about a current non-dog owner who is doing all the research and asking the right questions before getting a dog:)

I don't know anything about Elkhounds, but as Pita and Archer are off line at the moment, I thought I would answer some of your questions in general terms.

You are exactly right that getting an older dog can be the best thing for a first time dog owner - my first rescue (border collie) would have been ideal for that - I couldn't have taught him bad habits if I tried.

But there is a real mix of reasons why dogs might need a new home and many of them do have issues, some of which are easy to sort out, others not so easy. However, a good rescue centre would be able to match you with a suitable dog.

Getting an older dog has the advantage that you can immediately walk them as far as you want to go.

The biggest drawback I can see in your case is that with the Elkhound not being a particularly common breed here, I would have thought that the chances of finding an adult one in need of a new home would be quite small and the fact that they would need to be good around horses may well reduce those chances even further.

You could try googling Elkhound rescue to see whether there is a website - that may give you an indication of the number of adults needing a new home.

I think you may therefore need to plan to get a puppy and it is good that you are thinking about it now, since the best breeders may well have a waiting list (and won't be breeding that often).

I'm sure when they get back on line, Pita/Archer can recommend some breeders to talk to and may be able to give more information on Elkhound rescue.
  8. Fudgeley

Fudgeley New Member

Name:
    Rachel
    What a great thread to read. responsible dog ownership before owning the dog!

The only thing I would add is that if it is important for your dog to be around horses and have excellent recall getting a puppy means you can train from an early age. This is not to say you wouldn't find an adult in rescue but it might be the easier option.

Good luck in finding your perfect pal whether adult or pup.
  9. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Potatos are boiling but I will come back and answer your questions after lunch.
  10. Jessica

Jessica New Member

Name:
    Jessica
    It sounds like you've had plenty of great responses so i wont go on too much.

But just wanted to say, 4 or 5 years ago i was looking for a hound breed and this was one i was very seriously considering. The people within the breed, at the shows at least, were SO helpful and more than willing to take the time to chat to me and give me any information i needed. The dogs themselves were just fantastic, all seemed so friendly and loving and i was so tempted by them.

I did however, decide against an Elkhound just because of the sheer size of them, they are big, chunky dogs and i wanted something of similar size to my (then, future) pugs as it would have been living with them. But it was a tough call between them, basenji and hamiltonstovare whcih are again too big but stunning!!
  11. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Go to the breed clubs the one in Scotland can be contacted via Mrs Sue Littlejohn the phone number is 01563 540194 - if you want to talk Elkhounds to an experienced breeder you could try Gill Bingham who's details I will PM to you, she may also know if an adult animal that may become available would be suited to your needs.
  12. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Sorry have tried to send you a PM but for some reason that is not possible, could be because you are a new member. As I am wishing to give other peoples contact details I do not feel able to do so on an open forum but if you are able to PM me I will try to return the message with the details I was trying to give you.
  13. Archer

Archer New Member

If you go to the steldawn website(www.steldawn.co.uk) you will find Gill Binghams contact details.I have 2 of her elkhounds and another sired by one of her studs.I also have a shiba puppy from her.....
    if you want an adult have a look at epupz(under norwegian elkhounds) as someone is trying to rehome a very well bred 3 yr old male.
    Elkhound rescue also has a website(www.elkhound-rescue.org.uk)
  14. Lionhound

Lionhound

Name:
    Lorna
    Just wanted to wish you all the best in your hunt :)
  15. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    My x boss had an Elkhound when he was growing up and said it was the best dog he ever had, and I used to walk with a man in the park I worked in who had one and it was such a lovely wee fella and very obedient...
  16. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Elkhounds are truly lovely dogs. My Loki is very much my dog, a real Mummy's boy, but without the constant pestering that you get from other more clingy breeds. They tend to be food monsters, so are easy to train with titbits. If you want it to follow your horse whilst you are riding, you should be able to train it, though scents can be a distraction. Until he was about 2, Loki thought it was his right to approach every dog he meets, and some people do mistake them for Akitas and can be fearful, but you can't let other people's prejudice affect your breed choice! At almost three, he is a cracking dog! If you are getting a rescue, you may have a bit of a job with recall, as they need to start learning young. Some people don't let them off at all, but so long as you have patience and realistic expectations, you will do fine! Good luck with your search, they really are fab dogs and very beautiful. A Furminator is a good bit of kit to have, too!
  17. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Thanks Nikki, did not think of Gill's website and did not like putting her number on an open forum.
  18. Gypsum

Gypsum New Member

Name:
    Emily
    You guys are very helpful. :)

Doesn't look like I can send or receive PMs until I've posted 20 times. I guess that's to prevent spamming, so fair enough.

Archer, your URL wasn't posted.

What kind of energy level do they have? The dogs I am most familiar with from friends, barn dogs, and from people's dogs who I have pet-sit for are jack russells, labs, goldens, spaniels, border collies, newfoundlands, greyhounds, and huskies. Where are they compared to those breeds?

Do they have better recall than say, a husky? I've watched a fair few videos of them on youtube and they seem like they can be trained to do a lot of stuff. My favourite was one of an Elkhound who lead in its owner's blind and deaf horse from the pasture!

I guess I am wanting to know the best and worst experiences you have had with them. :)
  19. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    With determined, kind training most can be trained to a high level, in the USA they are used a good deal for obedience.

They will take as much activity as you give them being happy to lay about if there is nothing going on but will be just as happy to walk for hours on end if there are mountains to climb or work to be done.

However they are not particularly fast, keep up with a trotting horse they may but not one at a gallop. They are built to work forests and woods not open ground so they are skilled at twists and turns and working through difficult terrain but not getting from a to b in a hurry.

They have very convenient energy levels and most will perform as required, some are companions to the elderly (mine) others join their owners on long walks or at a shoot, just tell it what is wanted and the Elkhound will be happy to join in.
  20. Archer

Archer New Member

Would just second what Jackie says....they will walk for miles or happily have 1/2 hr exercise then curl up on the sofa!
    And yes...recall,with training is far better than a husky
  21. Archer

Archer New Member

If you email me on grizzley@ntlworld.com I can give you the link:grin: