Norwegian elkhounds as pets? Questions

Discussion in 'Norwegian Elkhound' started by Gypsum, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Archer

Archer New Member

The best....just everyday life....their kind natures and their willingness to please
    The worst...nothing much really...probably 3 moulting elkhounds and a wooden floor:shock:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    My turn to agree with you Archer, best thing about Elkhounds is the honour of being able to own a few and the worse, well apart from the hair I guess their wish to help with everything, you can't employ a workman without finding somewhere to shut them away as, leave the workman alone, just does not work, they are unable to accept that people don't want their company.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  4. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    Very true! Loki thinks that everyone is his best friend and all people should stop and admire him! Having said that, I had a rep round this morning and he did a lovely stay in his bed for about five minutes before he couldn't stop himself saying hello! He tends to pee when excited, but that's probably an individual trait rather than a breed trait! He can be a little serious and dominant with other male dogs, but again, that may be just him. As most of the dogs I walk are bitches, I think he feels it's his duty to protect them. He dosen't fight, he just gives them the hard stare until they go away!

The hair is something you can either deal with or you can't, but I find he sheds less than my friend's Lab, and the hairs come of your clothes more easily too. Loki si very foody and loves to learn new tricks. He hates being left out of activities and sulks when he has to rest (he has tendonitis in both shoulders, caused by slipping on the beach, so some days he can't join us for walks).

All in all, a fab breed. A little stubborn at times, but I think that applies to many dogs whilst they are young. He's very good now he is mature.
  5. Gypsum

Gypsum New Member

Name:
    Emily
    Thanks for all your fantastic info. Next Thurs I am taking a trip to Portsmouth (from Edinburgh.. I know!) to look at the lad Archer posted a link to earlier in this thread. After talking to his breeder and his owner, it seemed worthwhile to have a look at him. You never know. Will let you know how it goes.
  6. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Hope he proves suitable for you, you may have to put in more work with him as he is not a puppy but you will manage with patients.
  7. Gypsum

Gypsum New Member

Name:
    Emily
    Probably depends on the dog to a certain extent -- we shall see. :)

Is there any big differences between males and females in terms of behaviour and personality? My first inclination was towards females -- though obviously not discounting the boys -- out of habit more than anything else since my family always had female cats and I have mostly owned mares (had one gelding, but he was a project horse I got to train and turn around). The mares are much more opinionated and independent, moodier but with an air of "knowing" about them. My gelding was kind of a friendly, dopey guy who had probably been a golden retriever in his previous life. Much easier to train than the girls as he would pretty much try anything as long as you made it clear what you wanted. He was bright in the sense that he would pick things up relatively quickly but had the common sense and wariness of his environment of a traffic cone. He would have lasted about five minutes in the wild. The mares far more savvy, more like, "Canter side-ways? That's a pretty stupid idea." After much negotiation, my mare is slowly deciding that the canter half-pass isn't the biggest waste of energy in the world. On the other hand, she knows to stop at roads, travel slowly over dodgy footing, shy from rattlesnakes (back when we lived in places where there were rattlesnakes), refuse to go up a trail if she smelled mountain lion or bear (again, back when we lived in mountain lion and bear country), etc. I quite like that, even if it makes her more work to train because she is quite happy to think for herself and make her own decisions, thank you very much. Do dogs differ as much as horses in that regard?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009
  8. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    IMO the males are much easier, you do get calm females and hyper dogs but generally the dogs are easier to live with.
  9. Archer

Archer New Member

IMO Elkhounds on the whole regardless of sex have a lot of 'savvy'.They are great thinkers and very intelligent as they are bred to work independant of their handler and so need to be able to think for themselves rather than need constant instruction.I have 3 male elks(never owned a female elk) all are great 'thinkers'.It seems as if they need to see WHY you want them to do something rather than just do it if you see what I mean.They are highly trainable and I find once they learn sonething its there for good.
  10. Archer

Archer New Member

Having found out a bit more about him he seems to have a good level of training for a 'pet' elkie....will obviously need work but sounds as if the basis may be there to work with.
  11. mishflynn

mishflynn

Name:
    Mish
    hi, ive never owned a elkhound & tbh i think they tick all your boxes!!!! my friend when i lived in mineghead had loads!!! friend im refering to had horses also.

Another to consider is a Border Collie which would also tick all your boxes in a different way!

Ive been on holiday with them etc etc , the hair is def the worse thing, also spome dogs that we met on walks disliked them simply because they were abit different, with a proud stance & spitzy tail, so therefore misreading them abit, which was a shame, cos they were as soft as!

The very best things about them is their lovely "soft to touch " ears!!!!!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2009
  12. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Do we have any news, was the young dog suitable?
  13. Gypsum

Gypsum New Member

Name:
    Emily
    I am going down south to see him tomorrow. Will keep you all posted. :)
  14. Gypsum

Gypsum New Member

Name:
    Emily
    Hi Archer,

I will be meeting him myself tomorrow but was just wondering what you found out about him.
  15. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Unlike Archer I know nothing about him but I hope your trip proves worth all that traveling, it would be wonderful if you and the dog found their perfect match but no pressure it must be the right choice for everyones sake.
  16. Archer

Archer New Member

Just what his breeder had been told....that he has good basic level of training and has never put a foot wrong! His owner is obviously very attached to him and is only rehoming him for his(the dogs) own good.
    Good luck today...pls keep us updated!!!!!!
    Nikki
  17. Archer

Archer New Member

sent you a PM Jackie
  18. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Just picked it up Nikki, thanks.
  19. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    Nothing very useful to add, just that a friend of mine has 4, they are all gorgeous and to reiterate what Mishflynn said there is nothing in the world as soft as Elkhound ears. :049:

Also if you habitually wear black you will need a new wardrobe. :lol: After a bit of Elkhound love my friend's house I come out grey, irrespective of what colour my clothes were before, :shock: but it is so worth it. :lol:

Good luck and keep us updated.

J
  20. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    You made me laugh J once you own an elkhound you soon learn not to buy black or dark clothes and to always wear something that has at least one pocket as you never know when you may need that bribe that you will have tucked away in that pocket.
  21. Mother*ship

Mother*ship New Member

Name:
    J
    Or anything veloury, if you get my drift, that the hairs will stick to. :lol:

I'm very popular at my friends house as I always have treats in my pocket, but it does mean that the minute I sit down there are 4 grey and 1 orange nose (that's her Finnish Spitz) all trying to get in there. :grin:

Hope to go round in a day or so as she has just had a litter, now if grown up Elkhounds are lovely, Elkhound puppies are ball of fluff to die for! :lol: :007: :007:

J