Odd vaginal discharge Health

Discussion in 'Bullmastiff' started by katygeorge, Mar 24, 2014.

1. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy

Odd vaginal discharge

Phoebe has just got up and i noticed a string of discharge from her ladie parts.
    I wiped it away with some tissue and it was clear and stringy and it doesnt smell (god i clearly love her to much)

ive had a look online and found it all a bit confusing as most of what i read applied to the dogs season and phoebe is spayed so cant have anything to do with her cycle. I got the gist that i shouldnt worry but still interested in what it could be and what if anything i should do.

Worried now as we no longer have pet insurance as it went up to over £200 a month so i had to cancel and without it i cant just be off to vet willy nilly.

Bit of history/info -
    Phoebe is 7 1/2 and spayed

Before christmas phoebe had weight loss for no apparent reason, urine test showed a tini amount of liver enzymes but then regained the weight without me making any attempt to do so so vet said the enzymes were down to being old and i shouldnt worry

about 5 weeks ago phoebe wouldnt get out of bed for her walk, wouldnt get up for her breakfast and went toilet in her bed. Took her to vet but she couldnt jump in boot of car so went on back seat. Vet said she had a really high temp for no reason she could work out as no tummy problems, ear were fine, skin was fine and no wounds could be found. later that day she was ok and eating then on the temp checks over next 4 days were perfectly normal so again the vet has no explanation

went for injections last monday and found phoebe has lost 1.5 kg again for no reason. we are being weighed again in a week to see if anymore lost. im not allowed to feed any extra or do anything about it so i dont affect the results.

Everything seams to be getting classed as old age. My family dont have much history of dogs getting old (stolen, haemophilia, randomly dropped dead) so we cant decide if this is normal old age stuff or not.

Anybody got any ideas??
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    katygeorge likes this.
    It's so long since I've had a bitch I can't offer any helpful comments I'm afraid. My guess though, is if it's clear and doesn't smell, it's nothing to worry about. Was it like mucus?
  4. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    yeah it basically looked like clear snot
  5. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    katygeorge likes this.
    Got 3 bitches, not expert could be kidney/water infection.
    Or could be old age thing, one of my female Rottweiler I once had, use to leak evetytime she stood up, my vets said it was her age she was 8 years old, very heavy set (not fat) my vet prescribed something but for life of me can't remember what it was, but did find it £17 cheaper on line then from vets.
  6. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    katygeorge likes this.
    Propalin?
  7. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    katygeorge likes this.
    I can't think what it would be other than lubrication, just because she's spayed wouldn't alter the need for that.
  8. Azz

Azz Adminstrator

Name:
    Azz
    katygeorge likes this.
    Could it be thrush? Does sound like a UTI.

Hope she gets well soon.
  9. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    katygeorge likes this.
    Rio has had several uti's but has never had a discharge, just straining to wee every couple of minutes, and random piddling with her spay incontinence.
  10. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    just had another glob of it, still clear but with a faint red/brown streak in it :eek:. She cant have propalin as my vet says it will make her behaviour problems worse so she has raspberry leaf extract and her bedding washed a lot as she does leave tini wet marks behind when shes been asleep. Ive googled myself in to a wreck as usual :(.

so my nutty over reactive brain has come up with the following -
    Phoebe is diabetic (this is what the vet thought at christmas but test were inconclusive and then she got better so we didnt follow it up) and vaginitis is common in diabetic dogs. so i now know im going to drive my self insane so im more than likely going to vets tomorrow as she is not showing any other signs of a urine infection. to many wierd little things going on the past 4 months so i think im gonna have to go and ask for another blood and urine
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Everything crossed here that it is nothing serious and that Phoebe will be fine. (((hugs)))
  12. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    off to vets in an hour. i phoned and they asked me to bring her down. prob for best or ill only drive myself nuts
  13. Janet

Janet Member

Name:
    Janet
    Let us know what the vet says! Fingers crossed it's nothing to worry about.
  14. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    im expecting it to un-explained as thats what every visit to vets has been for 4 months
  15. Meg

Meg Global Moderator

Name:
    Meg
    Azz and katygeorge like this.
    Hi Katy ,if the discharge is stringy mucous it could be vaginitis.
    The discharge can sometimes be a bit smelly and slightly opaque.
    This is an odd condition which is not fully understood, it can have a number of causes . There is a puppy version, in adults it can clear up spontaneously .

Chloe had it recently and it cleared up without treatment . I took her to the vet to confirm my diagnosis and as she was fit and well we decided to leave and observe.

I washed and dried the vaginal area daily in boiled warm water and dried it throughly to keep it clean and to prevent her licking and introducing bacteria to the area.

It is always a good idea to get any discharge checked by a vet and of course if a bitch is not spayed this should be done ASAP in case it could be caused by pyometra.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  16. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    well we are back from vets. We have a weeks worth of antibiotics. vet says more than likely vaginitis but then started going on about something called a stump pyometra. if discharge gone in a week then all good dont worry, if not we go back with a urine sample and then maybe a blood test this could then lead on to a scan :eek::eek: i herd my credit card cry a little at this point. If the discharge starts to change colour over the course of this week then i have to take her in as a matter of urgency. She said i can bath the area with hibiscrub if i want. I had this with phoebe as a pup but that was yellow goo and she had a horrible rash vet said she hadnt learnt to clean herself so i had to do it for her till she cottoned on. I was happy to take the antibiotics as her skin and ears also playing up for months no matter what i do so hopefully it will help kick that in to shape.
    Regarding weight loss she has to be weighed every week for a month and then they will decide what to do at end of month. So weighed again today and half a kg down from last week but vet said thats not a huge concern right now as to small an amount over to small an amount of time to see if its a pattern.

only problem i have is i cant decide if they just making things sound dramatic as they know im a good cash cow as im a natural worrier. they had £10k out of my insurance alone over the 71/2 years
  17. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    6JRT's and Malka like this.
    also quite funny, when vet had her finger inside phoebe, phoebe sat down with some speed and nearly broke the vets hand. she also wasnt in a rush to get back up again i had to drag her :005:
  18. Trouble

Trouble Member

Name:
    shirley
    Hopefully the AB's will sort it out.
  19. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    yeah hopefully. She gave me the big pink ones as she said they were pretty broad so would cover most things
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I should not laugh, but goodonya Phoebe girl! :lol:
  21. katygeorge

katygeorge Member

Name:
    katy
    6JRT's likes this.
    i couldnt pull her up because i was laughing to much. The vets face was priceless